Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Edit a Simple FTP executable file

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajaeger

Technical User
Feb 6, 2003
US
I have a file names SimpleFTP.exe. It is called from within an Access application. When I run it, it pops up a custom window that prompts me for user id, password and some parameters specific to my organization and the data that I'm going to download. After I enter this I click CONNECT and it downloads two files from an online database to my desktop.

I inherited this system and it was written several years ago. Since then, we've added fields to the online database. However, these new fields are not getting picked up in the download. I suspect that the SimpleFTP.exe file has some code in it somewhere that names the fields to be downloaded by name (for example, "Select ID, FirstName from Customers"). I need to get in there and edit the code so that it pulls the new fields (ie, "Select ID, FirstName, NewField1, NewField2")

Does anyone know how to edit this file? What software do I need? Is it possible?

Thanks.

Anna Jaeger
iMIS Database Support

FTP does not alter the file being transferred in any way (when it is working right :) ) If you are missing some fields, either the program creating the files is not exporting all of the fields or the program opening the file is not reading all of the fields.

My guess would be that when you start the transfer, Access is actually running an interal query or possibly Visual Basic code to create the files before starting the FTP program. The query or Visual Basic code needs to be altered, not the FTP program or configuration.

There are MS Access forums here. You are more likely to get a good answer there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back