Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

EDB SIZE REDUCTION

Status
Not open for further replies.

duncankw

MIS
Jun 30, 2003
US
HElP...

The drive that holds Exchange 2000 Databse is down to 150MB
and i need to be able to reduce the size of the database..
Is it correct that purging mail boxes or using pst's for the usere's will not reduce the database size or do i need to purge then run ann offline defrag to solve this...

Once you delete stuff from the database you leave "white space" in it. The online defrag will group things, but the only way to compact is to do an offline defrag.

For this you will need enought space to create a copy of the db. You can specify a different location for the temp db ie other drive.

There should be plenty of answeres in these posts for eseutil, but if you get stuck, post back.

Chris Styles

NT4/2000 MCSE

I have read that exchange 2000 will use this white space in the database when it needs it and offline defrag is a desperate act to do... so am i correct to say if i delete 2GIGS of old emails that will create 2GIGS of white space and that actualy will use it instead of filling up the drive and crashing or is my best bet to go get IDE drive and move database to the new drive.. i guess im looking for the safest method of curing this... if offline defrag is my best bet to recover the space i assume i can map a drive on another system and run the eseutil with certain switches telling it to use that drive and all wil be fine...?

duncan - that's right. eseutil /d is quite safe as long as the hardware is ok and the network drive is easily accessible.

But if you delete 2GB of emails and then eseutil/d you'll STILL only have 2GB on disk. Better solution would be to Migrate the store to a new, larger drive on that server.

<signature for rent>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back