Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ecs motherboard boot problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

ga1oot

Technical User
Jan 19, 2003
US
I built my mother's computer with an ECS K7S5A motherboard. At times, it will refuse to boot. It sits there accessing the cd drive like it's looking for boot media. Here is the strange part. I've discovered that by plugging in or unplugging various LEDs from the motherboard, it will boot. If all are plugged in when the situation occurs, unplugging the HD LED will fix it for a while. If the HD LED is unplugged, plugging it in will fix it for a while.

I have been told that the video card not being seated properly can cause the booting behavior, but I pulled it out and reseated it after I was told this.

Installing a new device can start this behavior as well. When I installed her modem and when I installed her TV card, I had to play with the LED connections.

Any ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Galoot

i am having some problems with my ecs board also, you might check out what the people had to say, except the really smartass response you will know the one. maybe there is something in there that will help. also, for future reference, try to include more system info such as processor, ram, os things like that, it always helps. mutt. everyday you learn something new, the day you dont is the day you die....so make someone live longer teach them something.......MUTT

Thanks for the reply.

I had looked at your ecs motherboard post before. It might be the memory...

Here is the system info:
ECS K7S5A mainboard v3.1
AMI BIOS flashed to v02/06/26
AMD Duron 950 processor
128MB PC100 or 133 SDRAM (I don't recall which)
MSI GeForce 2 MX 200 32MB AGP video (no TV out)
ESS Superlink-M Data Fax Modem 56K PCI
Western Digital 40GB HD

It's the same memory and processor as my computer. I have the ECS K7VMA motherboard, though, with Award BIOS and built-in video. I don't have any problem with mine. The local store had discontinued that model between when I built my computer and when I built my mother's.

Thanks again.
Galoot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back