Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

eCommerce - shopping trolley

Status
Not open for further replies.

shoveswp

Technical User
Jun 20, 2007
ZA
I'm looking to add a shopping trolley to a website.
It lists a few products and i would like for the customers to purchase online. But basic purchasing, like once you checkout, you get a order no, which in return you pay the merchant via eft or bank deposit (using order no as reference) and then faxing/email proof of payment to the merchant.

Can you guys please help me?

This will be easier to handle if you break it down into separate tasks.

1. Keep a list of products associated with a particular web user.
(a) Add products to the list
(b) Remove products from the list
(c) Display the list.

2. Keep a record of all purchases. Including products purchased, amount paid, and customer contact information like the shipping address. You probably do not want to keep the entire creditcard number because this is a security liability for your website but perhaps you will keep the last four digits or something.

3. Be able to send an email or fax from code. If you truely have an option, email will be easier to implement and more reliable to automate than faxing.

Also I wanted to mention that you may be able to buy some commercial software to accomplish this task and that the time saved may be more than worth the expense.

Any ideas/samples??? Never done this before!

any idea where, and what's good/ reliable?
asp or asp.net

In my opion, if you don't have any experience with a particular technology then a project that involves other people's credit cards is not the place to start... so as between ASP or ASP.Net.. my opinion is that you choose the one you know better. The most important thing is that you are familiar enough with the programming environment to be certain that your code for charging other people's credit cards is secure and bug-free.

The last thing you want to happen is have a theif gain access to someone else's credit-card information via your web store.

like once you checkout, you get a order no, which in return you pay the merchant via eft or bank deposit (using order no as reference)"

I forgot to mention that i do not want to use an auto online credit card switching method, but simply at the end of the checkout, take the order no, use it as reference when making a payment via internet banking or direct deposit (merchants banking details will be provided).

any site i can look at in order to buy commercial software?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back