Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ECmap: Help with 'spacing' as default for new fields

Status
Not open for further replies.

ckoenig17

Programmer
Jul 7, 2006
US
Hey folks,

I'm working on an inbound 837 institutional map using the Sybase ECMap product. I am fairly familiar with this tool, but I have run into a situation I cannot figure out.

I am trying to selectively map data to two new database fields in one of our main tables. Based on certain qualifiers in the 837 file, these fields will either be mapped with certain diagnosis codes or be null. I have all of this working appropriately, however, when nothing is mapped to the fields, ECMap is defaulting six spaces as the field's value, NOT a null! This data is being written to an Oracle 9i database using ODBC. I do have "Insert Alphanumerics as nulls" selected in the "File Properties" settings for my database setup in the map project. Six characters is how long the field is in the database, and how long I have defined it in ECMaps 'Records/Tables' area. Other fields in the table that are not mapped are inserted as nulls without a problem. Its only these new fields its defaulting as spaces. The really odd part is, even when data is mapped to it, ECmap is padding the data with spaces up to six characters as well! I have tried creating a record using SQL+ outside of the map, and they default as null just fine. There is no field default or external triggers effecting these fields. It is definitely something within the map that is doing it. I even tried creating assignment commands that assign the fields to "", yet six spaces are still what is getting inserted into the database.

I even tried using ODBC logging to try and see what SQL statement it is executing, but there are so many fields in this table, it truncates the SQL statement in the log, so I can't see the 'values' part of the inser statement to see what its putting in for these fields.

Does anyone have any idea what could be padding those spaces in? Is there a setting I have missed?

Any help would be greatly appreciated....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back