Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Eclipse running slowly 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

xwb

Programmer
Jul 11, 2002
GB
I don't know if it is just my installation or is eclipse really slow.

On a dedicated 1GHz Linux machine
Eclipse takes 50s running on jdk 1.7 (5s for template proposals to appear)
geany takes 6s
codeblocks takes 14s
vi is immediate

On an W7 VM running on a 2GHz machine
Eclipse between 30s and 120s running on jdk 1.6 (5 to 25s for template proposals to appear)
VS2008 takes 3s (VS2005 is the same)
VS2013 takes an incredible 105s! (Probably the same for VS2010 and VS2012)

The latest offering of netbeans appears to be broken (somehow it can't find the JDK even though it is on the path and eclipse can get to it) so I can't try that to compare.

If I'm doing a lot of coding in eclipse, the machine sometimes goes into 100%CPU mode for 2 to 5 minutes. Eclipse is just totally dead until the CPU usage drops. It just eclipse that is really slow/inefficient or is there something I can do about it (other than not use it or getting an SSD/faster machine), eg allocate more memory.

Is it possible to get eclipse in native mode like the way you can run java programs in native mode.

To increase the memory you can edit eclipse.ini file and change the options there. For example, this is what I have in my machine right now

-Xmn128m
-Xms256m
-Xmx1024m
-Xss4m
-XX:permSize=256m
-XX:MaxPermSize=512m

An explanation for the parameters can be found here

Eclipse has been growing to become almost an OS, so performance problems can come from many sources but you can try running it with -clean options or maybe a simple reinstall could solve your problem.

Cheers,
Dian

Thanks - I didn't even know there was an ini file that had configurable bits. I'll mess with the params and see if it speeds up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back