Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Echo Sound

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wavesg

Technical User
Jul 11, 2001
US
I currently have 2 PRI line for my voice over ip setup. I have 50 PHONES (7960 model). From time to time we get an echo sound as though you were speaking on bad cell phone connections. Any ideas?

My guess is that you are using a HDV instead of a dt-24+

I have run into this alot. Echo at the beginning of a conversation, but fading within the first couple of seconds, is common (and according to Cisco, working as designed). I the echo is persiting, here is what you can do to make it better. T1s are usually brought to the demark at 0db. This is too hot for an HDV. Get the circuit provider to come back out and lower the level on the smartjack to -15db. Next set the output attenuation to six (you may need to tweak this). Keep it as close to 0 as you can. Raising the output attenuation on the voice port will lesson your output level decreasing the level of echo coming back. Next, crank the echo cancellation coverage to 32. Placing calls after that, you may hear an echo just when the call is placed, but it should fade quickly as the echo canceller learns the rythm of the echo.

I mentioned in an earlier post that there are some issues with this system. This is probably the most common, and most annoying to customers. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back