Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Echo problems on DT-24+ gateway

Status
Not open for further replies.

dnichols

IS-IT--Management
Apr 2, 2002
CA
We have a Cisco CallManager 3.1(2c) with a pair of DT-24+ gateways providing PRI access to the DMS-100 class 5 telco switch. The DT-24+ gateways are running the latest general release loads that we can get from TAC. We get echo at the IP phone end on approximately 5% of calls into or out of the DT-24+ gateway. We are confident that the problem is caused by poorly balanced analog hybrids at the PSTN end of the call, exacerbated by the IP packetization/dejitter delays. We have been able to determine that the problem shows up most commonly on PSTN calls that are long distance, but not long enough for the telco inter-switch trunks to have echo cancellers.

We have messed around with the addition of padding in the DT-24+ cards and are currently sitting with 6 db of padding in the IP Telephony to PSTN direction. This has reduced the echo somewhat, but hasn't eliminated it. As well, we are starting to have "can't hear" complaints from PSTN connected parties.

Is anyone out there having the same issue with the DT-24+? Would any other Cisco PRI gateways perform any better or do I have to tell my customer to live with it?

At what db level did telco provide the PRI at? It is usually a 0 db, and I have found that getting telco to change this to a -15 usually helps.

PRI would be at the standard level as we didn't specify anything else. When we introduced high levels of padding in the gateway itself, the level got too low. Unless the DT-24+ has a feature like Automatic Gain Control (AGC), I find it hard to see how a PRI level of -15 dBm (-15 dB is a loss, not a signal level) is feasible.
Does the DT-24+ have AGC?

It is not a setting you can change on the DT-24, but rather a setting your provider can change on the smartjack at the dmarc.

I would highly recommend the use of an echo canceler. I have seen them in action and they work great.

Steve L

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back