Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Easytrieve Beginner Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

arniec

Programmer
Jul 22, 2003
US
I am a programmer at a company where we are about to implement Easytrieve. I am the most experienced programmer in the group, with knowlege of C++, Assembler, Java, Perl, VB, etc. Most of our programmers are VBA proficient with a little Java experience as well.

We are trying to take a 3 day Easytrieve training seminar and distill it down to the essentials, and I have been tasked with doing this, but not knowing Easytrieve at all I'm hesitant, so I hoped someone would be able to tell me which of the following items are most important, or at least tell me what some of the things (like a VSAM) are or, barring that, point me in the direction of a comprehensive web site with Easytrieve info.

Here are the topics in the 3 day course:

I: Introduction to 4th Gen languages and comparison to High level languages
a. What is Easytrieve Plus
b. Automatic report formatting/file processing
c. Advantages and Disadvantages over Gen III languages
d. COBOL
e. JCL implications

II: Environment and Libray Sections
a. EZ Plus syntax
b. Program structure/COPY
c. File definition and statement syntax
d. Field definitions
e. Field name convention, working storage, field length, and decimal positions.
f. Redefining a field.

III: Activity Section
a. Report formatting
b. Syntax
c. Report definition optional statements: PRINT, TALLY, SUM, SEQUENCE, CONTROL, TITLE, HEADING, LINE, PAGESIZE, LINESIZE, SKIP, SPACE, TITLESKIP, MASK, DATA EDITING
d. Multiple reports

IV: File Processing
JOB, GET and PUT, MOVE and MOVE LIKE statements, DISPLAY, GOTO, PERFORM, IF/ELSE, END-IF statements, Combiining conditional expressions, NESTED IF, Assignment statement, Arithmetic operations, Testing aids (STOP, RECORD-COUNT, STOP EXECUTE, EVERY, LIMIT)

V: Arrays
Syntax, OCCURS clause, Subscripts and Indexes, Fixed and Variable length records, Working Storage ARRAYs, DO WHILE logic, Practice problems

VI: Tables
Students should have significant experience with basic features in Crystal Reports 9.0

VII: Procedures
Syntax, Report PROCs, BEFORE-BREAK. PROC, REPORT-INPUT. PROC, AFTER-BREAK PROC, AFTER-LINE PROC, END-PAGE PROC, TERMINATION PROC, Practice problem

VIII: File Matching
Syntax, File organization, KEYS - major and minor, MATCH TEST, DUPLICATE TEST, FILE PRESENCE, TWO FILE MATCH, THREE FILE MATCH, Practice problems

IX: Sort
SORT procedure

X: Macros
Storing MACROs. PANVALET VS. PDS
POSITIONAL and KEYWORD parameters
Using a CALL

XI: VSAM enfironment
VSAM INPUT, READ, POINT, WRITE, Sequential and Random access, Updating a VSAM file, Practice problems

XII: IMS/DLI
Syntax, Defining KEYS, RETRIEVE, SELECT, DLI statement, Automatic path processing
Programmer Controlled Segment Processing
FILE
RECORD

Any help, please???? THANK YOU IN ADVANCE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back