Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

EasyMapi and Outlook's api questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

LucieLastic

Programmer
May 9, 2001
GB
hi

Has anyone used Outlook's api to track, create and log emails?

I've written an email tracking system that uses EasyMAPI. It captures emails coming in and out, searches them for anything of interest, if interesting, extracts info from the email, copies it to another public folder and logs the info to an SqlServer database.

We have just been taken over and our new 'owners' don't want us using a 3rd party tool to access Outlook. I have no experience of using Outlook's api, has anyone used it and can I do the following with it?

- Will I still have access to the PR_ENTRYID and PR_SEARCH_KEY and any other PR_ field for that matter?
- If my system is stopped for a while, is there a function to start it from a specific place using PR_ENTRYID or equivalent? This can be done with my current system, it can also be 'rewound' to a specific date and reread/recheck the emails.
- When creating emails, I need to set the PR_SENDER info, would that be possible?

These may be obvious questions but I'd really appreciate a general feel of what is possible using Outlook's api before I start digging further. I have a meeting tomorrow so a bit of background info to get me started would be great.

Many thanks in advance
Lou

EasyMAPI is going to be doing all of the hard work. If you can convince your boss that you should purchase what ever source code is available then do it. It will save you hours of figuring this out on your own.

Also - I'd confirm with Peter Wolters but I would suggest that EasyMAPI isn't a third party tool accessing Outlook but a layer over the existing APIs provided by Microsoft. Maybe the new owners think it is accessing the .pst/.ost file directly?

Cheers DjangMan.

Will drop an email to Peter and let you know what he says.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back