Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Easy way for upgrating exchange 5.5 to 2000 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

narine

IS-IT--Management
Jul 27, 2004
AM
My small company use exchange 5.5 only for message transfering inside the organisation. I am a new admin, so I plan to upgrate exchange 2000, what is the easy way for doing that? /nt 4 sp6,PDC, users 30/.
I had a BDC, but I turn of it from the Lan, and test restoring DS, IS . I become it PDC, rename, install exchange with the same name as original, restore DS and IS from the type. All is OK.
In fact, when I create a new NT user on the original server, I do it again on the backup. I need you advance. Haw to upgrate my servers in this situation. I need easy way, as I am a new admin.
THANKS A LOT ;-)

Please anybody can help me?
I have two domens in on i have exchange 5.5 on NT 4, in the others i have exchange 2003 on win 2003. I want to migrate 1 mailbox and public folder from 5.5 to 2003 , i have a error that LDAP no activeted. There is no trust relationship between DOMAINS. Do i need relationship? Where in win 2003 i can find LDAP enable/disabe options. I am new in Exchange, My organization is small but I have grait public folder with different permissions , Thats why i want to have coexistance between servers. the .pst method will be very hard. If i can see ex2003 from ex5.5 i will reinstall 2003 and check JOIN TO 5.5

heeeeeeeeeelp !!!!!!

I would have to agree with Destiny, Narine. If you are new to Administration, then your best bet (and safest) is to locate an expert in your area and hire him to do the migration. Especially if this eMail system is very important to your company (IE: boss!)

If you have the time, I'd susgest taking a class or buying an Exchange book and practice on it. ALSO, go through this website and read up on other problems folks have had in migrating Exhcange. Take advantage of what others before you have experienced and posted here.

Either way, Destiny is right. There is no "easy" way if you do NOT have the experience. Even if we were to give you a step by step procedure (which is what I think you are really looking for [and if one exsisted]) you would still need the Experience to know what to do when a siutation happens that would require you to troubleshoot.

Ya just gonna hafta bite the bullet and read and practice.

Good thing is that WHEN you do have a problem with the installation, this is an excellent place to post your concerns and do some research.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back