Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Easy Transfer cable on XP fails installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

MeowKatz

Programmer
Mar 7, 2006
I am connecting my home desktop and a new laptop via the Easy Transfer cable. (This worked fine on my old laptop.) I installed the driver from the Microsoft web site and that went well. Every time I connect the cable, Windows attempts to install a new device and fails with no information other than the fact that it failed. The cable is then not usable to transfer.

The following is the sequence of events:

(Found New Hardware Wizard)
Cannot install this Hardware
There was a problem installing this hardware:
USB Easy Transfer Cable
An error occurred during the installation of the device
Fatal error duiring installation
Click Finish to close the wizard

I attempted to update the driver but get the same results. All Windows XP patches have been applied from the MS web site.

Any suggestions?

Have you tried different USB ports?
Are there any other connected USB devices which you could disconnect beforehand?
Are you sure your USB drivers are the best/most up to date drivers for your motherboard or PCI USB card?

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

I have tried on all the USB ports with the same results. I would presume the drivers are OK but will have to verify. The system does pick it up as a USB Easy Transfer Cable but can't seem to install it.

Go into Device Manager and right click on the unknown item and choose update driver and see if it will pull it from the internet.

If not, post the PCI\VEN information and the error code DevMan is giving.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back