Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Easy to Use Software Firewall for Home Use? - Opinions, Please 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kjv1611

Jul 9, 2003
US
I'm currently setting up a computer for someone who knows very little about technology. I'm not talking a "user" versus an IT person or such. I'm talking more like a "Is this the keyboard or the computer?" type of person.

Anyway, this person lives in a different state from where I am. I'm setting up their system (Windows Vista Basic is the OS) setup right now. Well, it's actually their relative's PC that I'm reinstalling from scratch.

Here's my thought: I'd rather install Comodo Internet Security for their firewall. However, Comodo can be a little bit much on prompts for the user to respond to, as it seems any/all of the "good" firewalls are as well.

Windows Firewall hardly ever gives prompts. I mean, since XP SP2, the Windows firewall does seem to offer a little more protection, and does prompt for some actions, but still nothing like Comodo or Online Armor or Zone Alarm or others.

I'm looking for other opinions here. I really WANT to put Comodo on the machine to protect it. At the same time, however, I'm afraid within a couple weeks of the person getting the machine, I'll get a call saying they can't get on the Internet... and it'll be because Comodo blocked something.

Can anyone offer any advice for me on this one? Obviously, I'll have to make the final call, as when I ask the folks I'm doing it for, they say "whatever you think best."

Thanks in advance for anything.

In the case of non computer literate relatives, based on past experience, I have opted to forget about software based firewalls all together. Instead, I spend the $30 and get a simple hardware router and tell them to wire the modem (cable / dsl) into that and from the router to their computer. I have done this 3x so far and it has proven more effective than the software based approach (tried zone alarm and Norton).

In your case, you could configure wireless, or lack there of for them, and change the default password.

The advantage to a hardware approach is that it is a plug it in and forget about it. The software based ones want to constantly pop up alerts telling you how good of a job they are doing and a wrong click yes/no could spell a disaster that you would be loath to try and fix remotely.

Granted the software approaches can stop outgoing programs, but if this person is at the level you describe, that would likely be beyond their comprehension anyway.

Keep it simple, Simon.

Yeah, the router is already in place, I know, b/c they have an old laptop they are using wireless. So yeah, as you say (same examples, different products), I'm thinking it'd be best for this one to just let Windows firewall be it (it at least offers some protection), other than the router..

I was advised by both this person's siblings (which neither are terribly tech-savvy themselves) to make it as simple as absolutely possible.

Thanks for the perspective.

Yeah in this case I'd make sure the hardware firewall was there (probably the best option) and operational and just leave things to the Windows Firewall otherwise.

It is not possible for anyone to acknowledge truth when their salary depends on them not doing it.

If the wireless router is already set up make sure that it is secured and that the default password has been changed. Non-tech savvy users tend to just plug things in and use the defaults which usually means either no password or the default password.

Hope this helps.

Please help us help you. Read Tek-Tips posting polices before posting.
Canadian members check out Tek-Tips in Canada for socializing, networking, and anything non-technical.

Yeah, I'll make sure about the security settings once the computer gets there. I'm trying to remember if I helped set that one up originally, it's been so long. Well, either way, it'll be easy to figure out when we get to that point.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back