Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Easy to fix? Netscape not inheriting my style sheet font settings 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mavrix

Technical User
Apr 12, 2000
GB
Hi - wondering if anyone can give my a hint as to why my cascading style sheet (see below) doesn't seem to work with Netscape, but works fine with Internet Explorer (usual story eh?)<br>------<br>body<br>{<br> font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;color: #FFFFFF; background-color: #000000<br>}<br>------<br>That's it!&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;In Netscape, the colour of the text is black and in Times New Roman (i.e. the browser default)<br><br>I want to avoid defining styles within the pages themselves - hence why I've chosen to use a seperate file to hold the styles.<br><br>So, have I got the syntax wrong?<br><br>Please help!<br><br><br>Thanks!<br><br><br>

One additional point - I am using Active Server Pages in it's simplest form.<br><br>I've found some work arounds that seem to work better in Netscape.<br><br>Why do we spend so long finding work arounds for Netscape...?<br>

try putting a semi-colon at the end of your CSS statement. Simple syntactical mistake, if that's it... Netscape is usually more critical on syntactical mistakes. <p>Liam Morley<br><a href=mailto:lmorley@wpi.edu>lmorley@wpi.edu</a><br><a href=] :: imotic :: website :: [</a><br>"light the deep, and bring silence to the world.<br>
light the world, and bring depth to the silence.

The last time that I checked, Netscape didn't support CSS.<br><br>Just a little idea.<br><br>-Vic

Hey Vic,<br><br>&gt; The last time that I checked<br><br>When was that 1997? ;o) It does since version 4... well sort of... I could say more but I don't want to get in any trouble.<br><br>-pete<br><br>

Maybe so, but my friend and I just wrote a simple javascript that changes the color of a link in Netscape.<br><br>In IE, it would be <br><br>&lt;style&gt;<br>a.hover {color:black; text-decoration:none}<br>&lt;/style&gt;<br><br>or something like that.<br><br>With Netscape, you have to write a script that changes two layers when you rollover one, it replaces it with a layer with the same text, but another color.<br><br>And IE works with CSS because they (Microsoft) &quot;stole&quot; it from W3C. W3C are the people who invented it.<br><br>Just thought thist might help.<br><br>-Vic<br>&nbsp;

Vic,<br><br>&gt; (Microsoft) &quot;stole&quot; it from W3C<br><br>Are you trying to win the tek-tips misinformation award? ;0)<br><br>-pete

Hey Mavrix,<br>Due to a Netscape bug, u have to include &quot;td&quot; as a selector.<br>Here's the code:<br><br><br>/* format body. td is there to avoid a netscape bug! */<br><br>body, td {<br> font-family : verdana, Arial, Helvetica, serif;<br>}<br><br>Also, for the same reason (bug) it's good to say<br>background-image: none;<br>When u state a background color<br><br>Hope i helped,<br>Manos

I always thought the &quot;hover&quot; was just the only proprietary tag IE has come up with that I actually wish was standard... or is that standard and just not implemented in NN? akkk.... I can't even tell anymore...<br><br>Xcircuit: that's right, <i>only</i> if his problem is coming from a table. CSS in Netscape doesn't work with tables... it's a well-documented NN4 bug. Mavrix, is that the case? <p>Liam Morley<br><a href=mailto:lmorley@wpi.edu>lmorley@wpi.edu</a><br><a href=] :: imotic :: website :: [</a><br>"light the deep, and bring silence to the world.<br>
light the world, and bring depth to the silence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back