Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Easy Shopping Cart

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wulfgen

Technical User
Dec 31, 2004
US
Hello to all the DW users out there. I have DWMX and DW2004, so This should apply to both.

Is there an easy to setup shopping cart out there? what is a good one? I went to MM's site and found WAeCart (seems fine) - also, the NOP free cart (PHP based) - NebuCart (Javascript based) - but.....?

I've NEVER bulit a cart before but, have 3 clients that want them - so what is a good direction to go? Are there some I don't know about out there? Any horror stories [ones to stay away from?] or this is the best....

Any help would be appreciated

as much as I support open source products, for something that does frequently have sensative data I wouldn't recommend using an open source solution ( php, javascript, asp, java )
Miva has one that works very well, and is secure, I've never had any successful hacks on it.

or a script that is a cgi, where the source is not sent to a browser, only html forms.

Being pro-*x and anti-MicroSoft is fine, but there may be a better time and place to wear your "I'd rather die than deal with MS" t-shirt than at a support group for people with multiple sclerosis.

Thank you for the miva direction... but... what is this...???

Being pro-*x and anti-MicroSoft is fine, but there may be a better time and place to wear your "I'd rather die than deal with MS" t-shirt than at a support group for people with multiple sclerosis.

Where did all that come from? All I was asking was about shopping carts and all I use (for web coding is Dreamweaver- along with many, many others), so why all the derogatory comments?

- "Front Page S**ks!" - (how's that for an inflammatory remark?) -

it's the signature I have in my profile.
a humorous outtake on "I hate MS"

Oh! Sorry! I jumped the gun - Generally, most people ususally put this (signature) after a few lines like this ______ or its in Italics or someway to differentiate it from the main info - thats why I got confused - sorry!

Of course, there is also the argument that with an open source project it is far more likely that security holes (or other bugs) are found, documented and fixed.
With a proprietery, commercial product it is not always in the interests of the business to point out that there product might have a flaw.

That said, I wouldn't use a new Open Source Shopping cart unless I had taken it apart and fully understood what was going on. But something like Zen Cart or OsCommerce is used so widely and has such a community behind it that it's been well tested.

Foamcow Heavy Industries - Web design and ranting
Buy Languedoc wines in the UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back