Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Easy question

Status
Not open for further replies.

timjarland

Technical User
Feb 21, 2001
US
Hello all. I have a Compaq PIII 500, 128 MB RAM, running win98 se. The box "locks up" 4 to 5 times per day, requiring a hard boot. I am a UNIX consultant, so my pat answer if I were a client would be - unstable OS, buy a UNIX box. You guys have any ideas? TIA

What's it doing when it locks up? Could be O/S, but it could be application or hardware. Are you on a network?

I don't have anything against Unix myself (apart from the tortous syntax) but is it a logical replacement for a stand alone O/S like Win 98? You're not just going to replace the O/S, but any applications as well.

(Too controvesial I think - next thing will be 'Ha - get a Mac!!)

Yeah, I have the same problem. I have a Ultra PIII 667 mhz with 128 megs of ram. It locks up whenever I get about 10 minutes into a game, am transfering files over a VPN or sometimes when I am running Word and a couple of other programs such as IE, Outlook, Winamp and Photoshop. I am thinking it gets to hot. If I let it sit for awhile after it crashes it will run for quite awhile. If I try to restart right away, it will lock up again before the computer is done re-booting, usally right after the login screen.

I usally take it as a sign to go work on my iMac and let the Windows machine think about what it is doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back