Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Easy Question regarding SQL backup

Status
Not open for further replies.

ruster

MIS
Jan 1, 2001
CA
Hello All,

Got a quick question regarding Veritas Backup 8.5 SQL agent. I don't have much familiarity with SQL, and I had a client inquire if the database service on an SQL serer must be stopped prior to performing a backup (They claimed to receive this info from Veritas themselves). Doesn't sound right to me so I just wanted to get some confirmation on the issue.

Thanks in advance

Ruster.

Ruster, no one else has answered so I'll put in my .02:

With a native SQL Server backup, you do not need to stop the SQL Server service before making a full, differential, or log backup - these can be done while everything is live.

With 3rd party backup solutions such as Veritas, you'll have to check with the vendor (try their Web site). Some may simply do a file backup, in which case I'd probably recommend stopping SQL Server since the files would be in a constant state of flux.

A combination approach may be best: use SQL Server's native backup to backup to files, then have your 3rd party product backup those backup files.
Robert Bradley

When using a tool like this, it is usually better to store the bak file produced from the backup as opposed to backing up the mdf, ndf, and ldf files associated with a database, because those files are 'in use' and can give Veritas headaches. As I understand it, Veritas does have a SQLAgent add-in or whatever that you can use to directly backup your mdf, ndf, and ldf files.

I prefer to back up my backups (the bak files) to tape...

Hope this helps... Tom Davis
tdavis@sark.com

If you want to backup SQL while it stil running, you need SQL agent from Verita. It cost price.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back