Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Easy Question of the Day: Make a Straight Dotted Line :) 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

TOTCOM11

Programmer
Aug 5, 2003
US
As the subject line says, this has GOT to be one of the easiest questions ever asked on this forum. ALL I want to accomplish is to make a straight dotted line from point A to point B, and I have no clue how to do it. I am using Photoshop CS, so if you could reference that version of Photoshop, that would be great!

Thanks,
Chris

I am sure there is a graphical way of doing it but how about a dotted text line, flattened, rotated into position and then trimmed to length.
It would get the job done.

Keith

Yeah, that could work I guess. Just not quite what I had in mind...

Well, I made a type layer, filled with consecutive periods, then defined that as a brush. Could also be done as a pattern.

Hope that helps,
Donna

I guess this "easy" question wasn't so easy after all. I actually like the text idea the best. Is there nothing built into Photoshop CS to make a dotted line?

You could try defining a pattern that's comprised of one pixel black square and one pixel white square. Then use the single row marquee tool click so it creates a line selection and do Edit | Fill and fill with your newly created pattern. Just a suggestion. There may be an easier way.

I ended up taking AudioPro's advice and just making a text dotted line and then transposing it to how I wanted it. Not ideal, but better than nothing. Thank you everyone for your help. This really did end up being harder than I would have thought otherwise...

play around with the spacing of the brush.. IT WILL achieve what you want. Just set some amount for spacing, click (A) and then hold shift and click (b). It will create that dotted look.

I can't believe that this Photoshop 101 question took as long and as ridiculous turns (periods pattern, come on!!) as it did. ticke gets the boy scout badge, shame on the rest of you![sadeyes]

Ya, select a small hard brush, and go to the Brush palette, select Brush Tip Shape and move the Spacing slider to something over 100%. The preview window shows you the spacing result. To draw straight lines, click once,anywhere to start the line then while holding the Shift key, click a destination point, BINGO, straight line.

Thank you Samjazz for your last comment. I couldn't quite understand what ticke was trying to get across, but now I understand. Yeah, I thought the periods thing was kind of lame myself, but I wanted to remain polite (guess I ruined that). Thanks again!

Glad you found a solution eventually. My solution, whilst being primitive took a few seconds.
In a production environment we just cannot wait 2 days to perform a simple task.

Reminds me of the development of a pen to work in zero gravity, the boffins in the USA spent months and thousands of dollars developing the pen, which to their credit did eventually work.

The Russians use pencils!

Please take these comments in the light hearted way they are meant.

Keith

Audiopro,

Just to let you know, your way was the way I ended up fixing my problem. It was the most straight forward way of anything suggested. It just blows my mind that PS CS doesn't have a tool designed just for making dotted lines. Maybe that will be in CS 3 since I don't think CS 2 has anything either...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back