Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Easy one????

Status
Not open for further replies.

jm134

IS-IT--Management
May 19, 2003
US
The scenario: I’m in designer. I’ve got 2 tables included in my Universe. They basically contain the exact same fields ( columns ) the major difference being the type of measure. The record data from table to table will very a little but the vast the majority of it will be the same. So potentially I could have two tables with the exact same field ( column ) names, except for the measures, with some data being identical and some data being different.

The goal: Have one set of dimensions that link the two tables but include both different sorts of measures. So if measure one is queried only data from Table1 one would be included but that dimension would be shared by both tables. To reiterate; I’d like to know how to apply one set of dimensions to two different tables with different a measure object for each table. I thought outer joins were the answer but I’m not getting the desired effects. I’m somewhat new to relational database theory so pardon me if my question is obviously bad. Thanks for the help.

I do not know if I understand fully what you want, but you cannot join 2 fact tables this way and expect a query to bring proper results.
You can either join the fact tables over 1 common dimension and use 2 dataproviders to bring in the data (and use linked data-providers at report-level) or create a database view that contains all data through a union (which will merge measures in one column, which may not be what you want)

T. Blom
Information analyst
tbl@shimano-eu.com

I have a report with one section and I would like the page number to restart every time the section changes, i.e. Page 1 of 4, 2 of 4, etc. then re-start to Page 1 of 2, 2 of 2. I am new to BO but have been able to do this with Crystal Reports and even Access.

Help!

Cyndie,

Look at the special function PageInSection() that BO provides and take a look at what the help on this subject says about use of the function...........

T. Blom
Information analyst
tbl@shimano-eu.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back