Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Easy one: SELECT on multiple Databases

Status
Not open for further replies.

melginger

Programmer
Jul 27, 2001
CA
I can't make it works. I'm in the Query analyzer and I want to do a SELECT statement on two tables FROM two different Databases on the same SQL server.

I found something like

SELECT TA.field1, TB.field1, TA.field2 FROM
DB1.dbo.T1 as TA INNER JOIN DB2.dbo.T2 as TB ON
TA.field1=TB.field1

But I can't make it works. Where do I run that query, on Master? How do I syntax it?

It's surely an easy one but I'm blocked, so thank you for your help.

First, do your two tables have anything in common? In the example you use, Field1 of TableA and Field1 of TableB have common information. For example: social security numbers.

Next, if possible provide us with the schema of the two databases (Table names and field names). Then we can provide better help in doing what you want.

-SQLBill

Posting advice: FAQ481-4875

Finally, I created a view of the other database table in my principale database. Now I can join the two.

Thanks anyway

There should be no reason to have to work around it by creating a view - as you say this is quite a simple technique.

Your example query looks fine. If you post the error you are getting I'm sure we can work out what's going on.

--James

Try this!

"DB1".dbo.T1 as TA INNER JOIN "DB2".dbo.T2 as TB ON
TA.field1=TB.field1

/Chamil

sorry it should be changed...

"server".DB1.dbo.T1 as TA INNER JOIN "server".DB2.dbo.T2 as TB ON
TA.field1=TB.field1
/Chamil

Chamil,

The poster doesn't need to add the 'server' portion as both databases are on the same server.

I have a feeling the two databases don't have a field in common and the ON might not be working. But without the actual error and knowledge of the tables and column names, it's hard to help with this problem.

-SQLBill

Posting advice: FAQ481-4875

SQLBill,

You are right..
i did not read the second sentence properly.
Thanks..Chamil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back