Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Easy Logon AP for Guests

Status
Not open for further replies.

bernie321

Programmer
Jan 7, 2004
GB
Hi

We would like to offer customers access to the internet, as we will have little customers coming into the office we would like a low cost solution. We have a dedicated internet connection for them (a backup office ADSL connection) and so it will not be connected to our buiness network. The connection already has a firewall.

We want to purchase a wireless access point, but have a simple maybe web login for the users to access the internet though it (rather than configuring WEP etc). Are there any low cost access points thtat allow for this?

Thanks
B

Check out m0n0wall, it has a captive portal feature without the need for external web and radius servers. It runs well on old hardware.

Hi

Thanks for your post, and apologies for the delay in replying.

We are looking for a hardware solution (i.e. all in one access point) rather than a software solution.

Thanks
B

Thats ok, I was hoping to do the same thing. Take a look at the linux loads for some inexpensive A/P's. Some examples are dd-wrt or open-wrt. You will need to invest some time and effort but they appear to be getting close to a single box solution. I have several Cisco A/P's so I just set the Captive Portal device as the gateway to a public internet VLAN. When I found m0n0wall it was just too easy to get the system up and working. I have had it in production for about a month. I use Cisco 1242's which offer some nice IOS features and POE for ease of placement.

Good Luck,

bob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back