Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Easy FTP Solution for Windows 98

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 30, 2001
US
I posted a question like this before, but I didn't get a good response, I need to transfer files between a Windows 98 machine on a network and other computers. I need a freeware or shareware solution which is easy to configure that will allow someone on the network to pull files from the 98 computer, do resume downloading, cue up files, specify certain times for the downloading to occur. I've been trying to use WarFTP but this thing is not as easy as it looks to be a freeware program. Anything else out there?

Hi,

If the clients that are retrieving data from the machine are on the same network, can you not use file and printer sharing combined with a batch file running from the scheduler on the other machines?

John

Where using file sharing already, it works fine but we have a huge amount of files transfering from one site to another, using some sort of FTP Server/Client solution will allow us to cue files up for downloading, resume downloads that fail because of traffic or other neat stuff like that. I guess I continue with WarFTP for this 98 machine until I come up with something that can beat it. I think I have it configured correctly now.

Try using WSFTP LE FROM IP SWITCH

They have an education version for a free download. I have found it works pretty good. We use a more secure version at work.

If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

The WSFTP people have an ftp server for about 300 or 400 US. Works well.

By the way, this "network" does not have a file server? That is the best solution. It can then run the ftp server.

Jon

There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge. (Bertrand Russell)

yeah I wish we had a decent file server but this 98 machine is the file server for now. Okay I've checked WS_FTP I think I'll use WarFTP for now ONLY because they have limited budgets for this. Thanks fellas for the tips.

I tried FTP Commander for a while and it worked pretty well. Give it a look. .
. Now I'm using the dragNdrop FTP built into PowerDesk Pro 4. But it sounds like you may neeed more capabillity than that and you do have to pay to get PowerDesk Pro (there is a free DLable version, but I think it lacks the FTP feature). Anway,here's the site for PDP - .
.bh.
B-)

He who dares not offend cannot be honest. -- Thomas Paine.

I found WSFTP LE doesn't resume on uploads (only downloads = that's why it's a Limited Edition!).

Another freeware alternative is AceFTP3 from:

but with this one (while v. good) the limitation is you can't manipulate the queue.

Another opinion...

FTP Explorer (Client program, easy to use, and FREE)

TYPSoft ftp server (Server program that runs on 95, 98 and XP machines, VERY easy to set up, and FREE)

Both can be found at:
Hope this helps,

RenoRob

-An easily understood, workable falsehood is more useful than a
complex, incomprehensible truth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back