Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Easy Folder Security Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrB0b

IS-IT--Management
May 19, 2011
US
Hello all again,

This should be a super easy question, although Ive spent more than enough time tinkering and cant get it right.....

I have one folder in a share that I need two people, outside of Admins, to have access to. They need to be able to create folders and files, rename them, but not be able to delete. Right now I have full allow permissions with a deny set on: Take Ownership, Change Permissions, Delete, and Delete SubFolders and Files. This allows them to put in files, NOT create folders or rename, and not delete.

Am I doing it wrong because I have tried several combinations of all 4 of those settings and none give the desired results.

Thanks for the remedy in advance

"Silence is golden, duct tape is silver...

I believe giving them RE/LF/R/W should do the trick. FC does seem like you're giving them more permissions than they need.

I'm not sure if Write gives them the ability to create folders or not.

Hope this gets you closer to a better solution.

"Nothing is so common-place as the wish to be remarkable."
--Shakespear

Instead of using the standard permissions available on the security tab, use the Advanced permissions to set more fine-grained control. Right click on the folder and go to Properties, then the Security tab. Then instead of clicking "Edit" click on "Advanced". Then click on "Change Permissions". Then add your users/groups via the "Add" button. Then highlight the user/group in question and hit the "Edit" button to set the fine-grained permissions.

You should have everything checked EXCEPT for Full Control, Change Permissions, Take Ownership, Delete, and Delete Subfolders and Files.

MCITP:Server Administrator
MCITP:Enterprise Administrator
MCITP:Virtualization Administrator 2008 R2
Certified Quest vWorkspace Administrator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back