Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Easiest way to backup sendmail?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CNUprogrammer1

IS-IT--Management
May 25, 2006
US
We currently run
"Red Hat Linux Release 7.2 (Enigma)
Kernel 2.4.7-10 on an i686"

It's running on some hideously old proprietary hardware made by PRISM Medical Systems. We just need an easy way of backing this install up (it has a Seagate tape drive so that's not a problem), until we can replace it with something else (we have two mail servers, Exchange and Sendmail, long story). Anyway, the only functionality I know it does make use of out of the ordinary is the virtusertable, to forward mail to Exchange accounts. Besides that, I just need some general guideline to a backup of Sendmail. Thanks alot.

If you plan to move the installation to a new machine then I suggest backing up the /etc/mail directory.

On the new machine install Sendmail and replace the /etc/mail files with the backed up files.

Make sure that you don't have any 3rd party (Example: SpamAssassin, Procmail, ClamAV) apps bound to the Sendmail installation first though.

M. Brooks

Thanks alot mbrooks, everything I think is seperate from the Sendmail box, we have a MailFoundry server that runs through the email initially, then the Sendmail server for our POP user accounts and the routing table for the Exchange box secondarily. The reason we have it is because Exchange 2000 can't sit behind a DMZ, the Sendmail can, 2007 can which is what we might migrate to exclusively, but a backup never hurts to have :)
Thanks alot for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back