Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

earthlink internet question

Status
Not open for further replies.

mykeeg

Technical User
Apr 15, 2003
US
I signed up with earthlink last week and have been unable to use the internet. I can pull up the google page, but it won't bring up anything I search for. I keep getting an error that says "page cannot be displayed." I was able to bring up on line games one time, however, it showed a list of the games, but would not let me open them. I kept getting that error message. Any assistance you can offer will be extremely appreciated. It's no fun to have internet if you can't do anything after you connect to it. Thanks a bunch!!!

it sounds like it could be a DNS problem. however, have you had internet service at this location and computer in the past? try a couple things for me. connect to the internet, go to your dos prompt and type "ping hit enter. if it gives you "reply from ...." four times, then try to browse to yahoo.com if you can't bring your dos prompt back up and copy the IP address of yahoo that was returned after you pinged it. then type that IP address in your browser's address bar instead of " if you can browse to the IP and not the URL, there is a DNS/proxy error. let us know what you found out.

"Jack of all trades. Master of none."
[americanflag]

Thanks so much for your suggestions. I am at work now, but will try this as soon as I get home tonight.

In answer to your question, yes I have had internet at this location before. I had Verizon until my computer went out. I could'nt get the computer fixed right away, so I have not had internet for at least seven months.

I will let you know.

Your suggestions worked! Thank you so much for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back