Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Earthlink/DSL 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

skinzz

Technical User
Oct 30, 2002
US
I have 2 pcs. One running 98 and the other ME. The pc with ME has winpoet installed, the pc with 98 has only Linksys etherner adapter installed. Both pc can connect to internet with no problem. My 98 pc also has no earthlink software installed.I recently just reinstalled 98 and can still connect. Can this be? Should I leave well enough alone? Do I have to install Winpoet on my 98 pc.
INFO:
SPEEDSTREAM 5263
NETGEAR ROUTER RT314

Any suggestions?

skinzz,

If you are using a router, you should NOT have any ISP provided connection software installed. Remove WinPoet.

Hope that helps. [yinyang] What goes around - comes around. [wink]
The Old Man

If you feel that this post can help others, please indicate it with a star.

Quick question:
I removed Winpoet, now I cannot connect using Eartlink.(no loss there)
Is Winpoet only for Earthlink software? and When is PPOE software needed? I have done some research and still can not figure it out.
Any info will would be appreciated.

skinzz,

No, WinPoet is not just for Earthlink. PPPoE (Point to Point Protocol over Ethernet) is basically just a method of encapsulating your data for transmission to some distant point. When you have DSL service, the "circuit" (phone line) is always there. The ISPs, however, do not want to tie up their resources (IP addresses) all the time for circuits that are not being used. PPPoE was born as a way of shoehorning this always-on circuit into a arrangement that could be turned on and off. WinPoet, RASPPPoE, EnterNet and other software does this by simulating a dial-up and establishing a "session" on the circuit and thereby grabbing an IP address.

Using a router takes over the PPPoE session handling for you and takes care of keeping the session alive on the circuit. Since the router is doing this, you do not need the software on the computer. It should be removed.

Your computer's internet connection should be configured to connect to the internet via a LAN and never to dial a connection.

Does that help? How do you try to connect to Earthlink on the ME computer and what happens?
[yinyang] What goes around - comes around. [wink]
The Old Man

Ahh, now i got it. Thank you.
I removed Winpoet from my ME pc and when i tried to connect using Earthlink it came up with an error. I really do not remember the error but it did state that I was missing a file and had to reinstall from my Earthlink cd. I connect using Explorer and have no problem on either pc. This all started because I read that Earthlink DSL had "staggering" speed. I tested on dslreports. and came back with 726kbps, I was under the impression that with DSL (which I have been using for about 1yr) I should reach speeds upto 1.5. I originally thought that Winpoet was slowing it down or something. I still do not know why my DSL speed is not what it should be. I am not sure if maybe my configurations are wrong or if the problem has anything with me or Earthlink.
If you can offer any more advice I would appreciate it.
Thanks in advance.

skinzz,

With a router, you should not be trying to connect. You already are connected thanks to the router. You just open your browser or email and have at it! Is there a specific reason why you need the Earthlink software? You should be able to access their website and servers perfectly well without going through the connect process.

DSL comes in different flavors. They come for different prices, too. Asynchronous DSL (ADSL), probably the most common, has a different upload and download speed. It's usually expressed like 640/90 where 640 is the download speed and 90 is the upload speed. The theoretical limit on download speed is around 8 MB (that 8,000 KB) but that is usually for business or special types of lines. Residential service usually caps out at 1.5 MB.

From what you describe, I would guess you have a 768/128 circuit. There is overhead involved with any circuit so you are getting pretty good service at 726. Of course, if you are supposed to be getting 1.5, then you should complain to your provider or do some of the tweak tests at DSL Reports.

Hope that helps. [yinyang] What goes around - comes around. [wink]
The Old Man

On the speed issue for the DSL: Earthlink offers two services (at least they do through Sprint where I live). The standard is the lower speed you mentioned you are getting; for $15 a month extra, they will give you the higher speed line. Not sure about your location, but that's how it is here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back