Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Earthlink dsl/winpoet and VPN client are incompatible- how to fix?

Status
Not open for further replies.

amram

Technical User
Dec 23, 2002
US
My OS is Win2k Pro with the new SP3 service pack installed. I have earthlink as my dsl provider, I use WinPoet to connect to the net. The probelm is I am unable to install Nortel's VPN client (ver 4.1), After installation when I reboot my computer I get the Blue screen of death, with the message that goes something like this " Bad pool error 0x70000000, 0x...... blah... blah... blah. If you have seen this error for the first time please remove or uninstall the last software which was installed. etc etc". So I uninstalled the client in safe mode. This happened many times, so I got frustrated and took my PC to my company IS guy. He found the problem but not the solutiuon.

When he uninstalled WinPoet the VPN client installed and my PC rebooted without any problems. Also we tried to install the VPN client first and then later Winpoet, when you do that the machine reboots loads up all the drivers and then again reboots, this happens over and over again. So we came to the conclusion that WinPoet and and the Nortel client ar not compatible in Win2k. I am using efficient DSL modem and Linksys NIC. Now I cannot connect to the internet wigthout Winpoet and I have to use the VPN client because I work from home quite often. Iam in a fix. So did any of you have this problem, seen it before and fixed it? Please help me out if you have any information regarding this issue.

Note: I was using the WinPoet and Nortel's VPN client on Win 98 without any problems whatsover.

Why do you need WinPoet? I am using Earthlink DSL with Nortel VPN without a hitch. Just set up your modem for PPoE -- not an expert, but it works for me.

conceptumator, what type of dsl modem are you using that allows PPoe?

It's a XyXEL 645M. It's the standard unit Sprint sent out for the Earthlink DSL connection. Did I say something stupid? It really wouldn't surprise me.

Not at all conceptumator.
I believe that the issue is that some DSL modems support PPoe and some do not. I would bet that amram's modem would not support PPoe without WinPoet, but the Nortel VPN is not compatible with this configuration. So the solution for my problem (and aram's) is to get a modem that supports PPoe, and I knew that yours does. Thanks for the fast response.
-Jordan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back