Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Earthlink DSL *New problem* Router pppoe. July 25th

Status
Not open for further replies.

matt1982

Technical User
Dec 1, 2004
GB
I've been using Earthlink DSL without a problem for over a year now. Recently, I got a new computer and decided to share their internet with a router. I set it up and configured it, it worked without a flaw for two weeks. Today, I woke up and my internet was not working. I didn't change a setting or anything.

I investigated the problem a little bit I tried to connect using my old method, without the router just plugging my DSL modem into the uplink port on a hub I have and then computers into hub. I typed in my username/pw and the authentication was not accepted. I tried again with username@earthlink.net/password and the connection was accepted. This was odd because I never had to add @earthlink.net before. After connection via hub, I tried to connection with my router again. I changed my username in my router settings as needed. Reboot. Still no internet using router. This is getting fustrating, I've tried many settings to no avail. Anyone else having problems like this? Help is very much appreciated, thank you.

Earthlink is a Broadband Service Provider (BSP) and service in local areas is often provided by smaller companies. Akso, they have acquired other ISP's like Mindspring. There were several different username/passwords formats in use. They claim that they switched over to "Realm" authentication some time ago but it appears that it slow in taking effect. You just got hit with it. You are not alone, though.

Realm authentication means you will have to use your full email address as the username. See the link below for further information.

If the router is set up with htis user ID and password, it should be working. Does the status show connected? Can you post some details about the config and status of both the router and computer?

Hope that helps.
The Old Man

Thanks for the help. I read over the post and it helped me understand the change that was made. I orginally thought the problem was much more complex but in the end is was my PASSWORD that was typed in incorrectly. I would have figured this out sooner but I thought for sure I typed it in right. The simple things always get me like incorrect username/password when I think it's a hardware problem or something of that nature :/.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back