Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

EAC error "Routing table cannot be altered..." 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ABOzIT

IS-IT--Management
May 1, 2003
JP
Hello!

I support a number of laptops that use the Nortel Extranet Access Client (ver 3.70) to get into our corporate network. They are all running Win 2K SP3.

Recently a few client have been getting the following error when connected over a dial-up connectetion - "The routing table cannot be altered after the extranet connection has been established. The extranet connection has been closed."

The dial up is still active and the user can reconnect the EAC with no problems.

A far as I know the IP address allocated when connected on the dial up does not change so I'm a little unsure what might be causing the problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Hello ABOzIt,

I have the same problem. It seems to happen with DSL connections as well. I have a similar situation with a notebook computer using a DSL service through a Linksys Router. The notebook looses the VPN connection but does not loose connection to the DSL service.

Any help from anyone will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Hi

I don't think this is an issue with the IP address.

The connection is made through some sort of SVC, which is inside the Telco's network. The routing table in the client and the Contivity unit to which it is attached will be unaware of the specifics of the route inside that network, but will be aware of the IP network they are part of, and ports and MAC addresses in use.

The actual route inside the telco's network is subject to change, as the SVC may be rerouted during its lifetime if traffic patterns change or if devices fail in that cloud. This may be seen (probably by the Contivity host, rather than the client software, but possibly by either) as a change to the route the VPN takes, and that causes a change in the routing table.

What I have seen for certain -I am a home worker using EAC version 04_60.51- is that if you have the client running & a VPN connection set up and then attach a second NIC card to a working network (or disconnect from it) the routing table changes and the VPN connection goes down.
In my case the VPN is over ASDL via the USB port, and the other network is fast ethernet, and changes to that causes the EAC to kick me off.

Sorry it is not much, but perhaps this is a starting point for you.
EB

We have found this to be an issue with DHCP lease times. When you re-new a lease it alters the routing table. I would suggest increasing the lease time. If you are on a cable/DSL connection, you will need to install a $50 router in front of your computer so you can control the lease times.

Hi,

a couple of things you might want to look at. Do you have RIP enabled on the workstation?

The other is an obscure registry setting.

PerformRouterDiscovery

Determines whether the computer performs router discovery on this interface. Router discovery solicits router information from the network and adds the information retrieved to the route table. Setting this value to 0 will prevent the interface from performing router discovery.

Go to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters

and add the line

PerformRouterDiscovery DWORD value 0

Hope this helps

I had that problem a couple days ago. And I found the problem is DHCP related, specifically with APIPA. When your Host is configured to use DHCP I t looks for a DHCP server, if it doesn’t find one it takes a 169.254.x.x like IP address (the APIPA section). When that happens your IP Routing Table it modified adding the IP assigned to existing table. So, for some weird reason when you use the Nortel client this process is reinitiated, so your pc (modem connection) starts again to search a DHCP server, when it doesn’t find one it renews its APIPA address (it can be the same IP that was assigned before) and when that happens the IP routing Table its modified again and Nortel client warn you about that.

U can correct this by telling your system to do not use an APIPA address if it doesn’t find a DHCP server. So modify your registry this way:

Go to
Hkey_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip
\Parameters\Interfaces\your_adapter

And add the next entry

IPAutoconfigurationEnabled REG_DWORD

It takes by default the value of 0 so leave it that way

Restart your machine and try again your connection

Enjoy your encripted sessions

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search