Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

E911 send Extension for Caller ID

Status
Not open for further replies.

OldSchool70

Technical User
Feb 25, 2015
US
The carrier wants us to send the extension on outbound calls so can match for e911 purposes. How can I send the extension as opposed to the main number as it is setup now?

Assuming you have a PRI, in your ARS table you should have two entries for 911. If yours look like this below, its the sXXXXXXXXXX that is overwriting the caller ID with the main number.
11 / 911s2125551212 / Dial emergency / xx
911 / 911s2125551212 / Dial emergency / xx

To send the extension, remove the sXXXXXXXXXX. If the user making the call has an assigned DID in the ICRs it will send their ICR number instead of their extension.
11 / 911 / Dial emergency / xx
911 / 911 / Dial emergency / xx

If you have a SIP trunk it can get more complicated if your SIP trunk SIP URI's are setup to use Internal Data instead of Auto. Internal Data pulls from the SIP tab of the user profile.
If you have POTS lines, you can't change the caller ID.

I'm not a big fan of the "call your vendor" answer, but getting your E911 dialed in might be one of the times it's a good idea.

Why would you send your extension? Is the provider stripping the extension and appending a location based on that extension? If not you need to question why they made this request because sending "200" to e911 means exactly nothing to them and is not proper "dispatchable location". If your provider can't handle properly sending a real dispatchable location you can look into a separate provider just for the e911 portion. I have one SIP provider I suggest for this purpose, and it is pretty cheap just for e911, but I am sure there are more that can handle this for you.

All that being said, like John563 stated, it all depends on what kind of trunks you have. POTS it simply isn't possible to change callerID so Im assuming you have PRI or SIP based on your provider asking you to change the callerID.

The truth is just an excuse for lack of imagination.

This is a hotel. The carrier will match the room number/extension with a database that will provide location information to PSAP.

Then try sE in your Dial Emergency short codes.

Stuck in a never ending cycle of file copying.

Thank you. I need to add more information to my issue. We have an old Nortel system that is connected to the IPO via a PRI line. Outbound Calls that originate from the Nortel phones travel across the PRI connecting the two systems and then out another carrier PRI to the outside world. Calls that take this path do not carry the original name and number information from the Nortel extension.

There's not much you can do about that from the IP Office side. I have definitely setup a tie line between IPO and Nortel just like this and used the data from Nortel for E911, but a Nortel tech is going to need to fix the Nortel side. My guess is that the tie line is setup as a T1 and not a PRI, and that's why you get no caller ID.

How are you dialing outbound from the Nortel to the IPO. Are you dialing a 9?
I have system connected to Nortel with PRI. Line Sub type is set to QSIG A for this customer.
We use several short codes under the PRI to send caller ID

Code- 9N
Telephone Number- Nss
Feature- Dial
Line group- 3 ( LG number of the outbound PRI.

or say they want to dial an 800 number

Code -91800N
Telephone Number - 1800Nsixxxxxxxxxx ( The caller id you want sent)
Feature -Dial-Line group- 3 ( LG number of the outbound PRI.

Code - 911
Telephpone Number- 911sixxxxxxxxxx ( The caller id you want sent)
Feature- Dial
Line Group - 3 ( LG number of the outbound PRI.

We have a 30 plus year Nortel engineer working on this. We made some progress by adding ARS Shortcode: 1N;, Dial, NSS, 11. This sends out the extension for Caller ID. However it only works for 4-digit extensions. It cuts off the leading digit on 5-digit extensions coming from the Nortel. 5-digit extensions on the IPO work fine. It also appends a zero at the end of the 3-digit extensions coming from the Nortel.

Perhaps some more information is needed.
You say it is a PRI trunk between the Nortel and IPO. What is the Line subtype set for on IPO.? Line Sub type is set to QSIG A on system I referenced above.
Where are you adding the short codes? In ARS or system short codes or on the PRI/trunk short codes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back