Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

E911 and remote work force

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are a variety of options for 911. Number 1 recommendation is to get a 911 overlay such as Sentry, 911inform or other for compliance.

Remote Workers are a unique problem. While you can limit the remote worker clients to Android and iOS cell phones via ASBCE User Agent settings and force 911 calls to use the cell phone instead of your enterprise for 911, Windows, MAC, and non-cellphone Andriod/iOS clients are a problem without an overlay application to get location information from the end user. NOTE: As far as I can tell, the FCC has made it pretty clear when responding to the inbound only providers that the end users must be able to dial 911 so any attempt at restricting them would be a violation of the rules in my opinion.

I have not seen anything from SIP providers for a solution. I think they want to keep there hands off so they can try to limit liability. The FCC was less than clear on who will be responsible in the event a 911 call does not go through. They basically stated they would decide on a case-by-case basis.

Bottom line, is the FCC ruling was premature and failed to look at the PSAP technology in place today, the cost of the PSAP upgraded required to get NG-911 globally, the cost to the enterprise, and the Global nature of some systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back