Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

E8604 Failed to start backup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

yoja

IS-IT--Management
Oct 8, 2002
US
Running BrightStor v.9. When trying to backup the exchange server (v5.5) I get the following errors:

E8604 Failed to start backup. (DBNAME=Information Store, EC=)
E8524 Received unrecognized command from the client agent. (COMMAND=0)
E8604 Failed to start backup. (DBNAME=Information Store, EC=)

It goes on to backup a few other files and then hangs at 100%.

To isolate the problem try to do the backup from network instead of doing it from client agent.

Also put the Job Engine in debug, and run a test backup of a directory on the local system just to see if it works ok.

Stop and start all the CA services on the Exchange server,

Do you get this error message again?

Thanks for all the suggestions but I'm still getting the error. I stopped and started the services, put Job Engine in debug (nothing looks amiss), but the error still occurs.

The strange thing is that I have 5 different jobs and only the one backing up the exchange server produces this error and hangs. I have tried to run the exchange back up seperately and get the same results. Once in a while it runs fine but more often it fails.

Don't know if you have found a solution to this problem yet, but stop the RPC service on your Exchange Client then restart it. This should clear up the problem. I actually run a schedule script every night before running my exchange backups because of this problem. Hope this works for you.

I have tried all of the suggestions and I am still having the same problem.

I have even tried to back up one piece of the information with out scheduling the job. (Run Now.) I get the same results.

Put the Exchange DB Agent in debug and lets see what it's log has. faq478-4051 for debug instructions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back