Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

E8604 Failed to start backup EC=Exch Exchange Agent --(429) "Fail to O

Status
Not open for further replies.

tischler

IS-IT--Management
Jun 25, 2001
US
I currently am running W2K, SP2 on my file servers including my server that is running Exchange 2000 SP2. I have updated Arcserve 2000 with SP4 but was having this problem out of the blue prior to adding this service pack.
I am having the error: "E8604 Failed to start backup EC=Exch Exchange Agent --(429) "Fail to Open Information Store"

Now I have researched tech docs and followed instructions on the Q022840. It did not eliminate the problem. So I uninstalled the Arcserve and reinstalled on file server, then added SP4, also uninstalled and reinstalled Backup Exchange Agent on exchange server, added SP4. Ran the backup, got a complete brick layer backup the first night, second night, hung up on brick layer with same error again. It seems to do brick layer on first 3 mailboxes, and then it starts with error on same mailbox and every mailbox thereafter, each time.

At a total loss as to what to do. No additional tech docs to advise on CA website.

I received this error for a while, now much agent will not run at all.

I think i had this problem since SP4 was installed.

change the logon as to use 'this account' i.e. exchange service account for backup agent rpc server service on the exchange server and then recycle the service and try backing up after creating a new job.
thanks Happiness is a daily decision

CA technician advised for me to apply the Q022840 patch again, since I did not readd after applying SP4. Then we changed the Exchange Backup Agent configuartion to Named Pipes instead of TCP/IP. I was able to get a brick layer backup successful, Now I am waiting on my normal backup run to complete to see if all goes good. Will be curious to see how it runs for a few days before I am convinced all is good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back