Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

E8604 EC=(133) Failed to retrieve file list from SQL Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

iainwilson

Technical User
Jul 5, 2004
GB
Hi,

The full text of the error message (I've tried to get the main details in the title) is:

E8604 failed to start backup (DBNAME=<name>, EC=Backup Agent Error - (133) "Failed to retrieve the file list from SQL Server ".)

I'm running Brightstor 9 (Build 1868) on a Windows 2000 Server (sp4) backing up a remote SQL 2000 server (which is also running Win2k server sp4). The error occurs at the begining of the backup of this server's databases. The agent being used is the Arcserve 2000 SQL agent.

My questions are as follows:

1) What are the implications of this error? As far as I can tell from the log the databases have still been backed up - is this the case?

2) Is this agent compatible with Brightstor 9? I've been assured it is, and other servers running the same agent are backing up ok, but I'm worried that this may be some "undocumented feature" ;)

Many thanks,

Iain

Hi Iain,

your post is a long time ago, maybe you solved the problem already. Here is my help coz we had this in the problem beginning too.

What I know this is one of (too) many undocumented features. (I am not happy)

You should do 2 things: (be sure your firewall is not blocking the backup and be sure about the odbc setting on the SQL side)

1 - add your remote SQL server address and tcp and udp ports to this config file on the backup server:
C:\Program Files\CA\BrightStor ARCserver Backup\CAPortConfig.cfg
(someting like #myhost 213.202.206.206 6051 6051)

2 - add your remote SQL server address to this file on the backup server:
C:\WINNT\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
(something like 213.202.206.206 myhost)

I hope it helps you.
This is working for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back