Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

E8602 Failed to read from database

Status
Not open for further replies.

linkeloetje

IS-IT--Management
Apr 16, 2006
NL
I'm receiving the following error when making a backup of a clustered SQL2005 server with Brightstore 11.5 SP1

E8602
Failed to read from database. (DBNAME=<DatabaseName>, EC=<ServerName>:[SQL Server] szSqlState = 37000,fNativeError = 155, errMsg = [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]'pipe' is not a recognized Device Type option.)

It looks like 'pipe' has something to do with "named pipes" or netbios, allthough the protocol used is TCP. It does this with all database.

Can anyone help me out on this issue.

To add some additional info.

Although The Agent configuration has disabled "named pipes" and TCP is selected as protocol, Arcserve is still making a "named pipes" connection to SQL2005. This is what I saw in the Activity monitor on SQL2005. Even after disabling "named pipes" on the SQL2005 server and restarting SQL-Service.

So the problem might very well be arcserve-agent related.

Still no answer, but mayby this info can help?

Activity Monitor (SQL2005):

backup database [<DatabaseName>] to pipe = '\\.\pipe\dbasql@SQL2005\dbagent0s0' WITH BLOCKSIZE=65536, BUFFERCOUNT=1, MAXTRANSFERSIZE=65536

ArcServe Backup Job:

E8602
Failed to read from database. (DBNAME=<DatabaseName>, EC=<ServerName>:[SQL Server] szSqlState = 37000,fNativeError = 155, errMsg = [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]'pipe' is not a recognized Device Type option.)

Hi,
Try this...
go to
HKLM\software\CA\BrightStor ARCServe Backup \Dsagent\CurrentVersion\Agent\DBSQL\

Change the Value of UseTCP to "0"

So it Shall be Written!
So it Shall be Done!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back