Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

E8601 Failed to Connect Agent - Oracle

Status
Not open for further replies.

lostexchange

Technical User
Jun 6, 2002
GB
Hi,

We are getting the same error every night for our ArcServe2000 Oracle backup. The error is:
E8601 Failed to Connect Agent (Agent=dbaora7@live, EC=UserID = Null)
We have Windows 2000 network with ArcServe2000 SP4. Backup Agent for Oracle with RMAN configured. We have an Oracle 8i server.
Our suppliers tell us that the version of ArcServe we have does not support Oracle 8i however on contacting CA they tell us that it does. I have reinstalled the agents but still get the error.
I am not sure why it is looking for dbaora7 not 8 or why te userid is Null as we have set the correct accounts. Has anyone else seen this before and solved it?
Thanks

Did you drill down through the network to configure the backup job for Oracle? Go to the Oracle server and look in the DBORA7 folder and give us more detailed information(if any) from the logs.

Oracle 7, 8, 8i and 9i are all supported by ARCserve 2000 (sp4).

Don't be deceived by the names of the Oracle agent modules. dbaora7.dll is the module used to backup all versions of Oracle. dbaora8.dll and orasbt.dll are used by ARCserve when performing a backup through RMAN.

As for the error you are getting, it looks like you didn't specify a username and password for the Oracle agent. Here are a few things to check:

1. When you installed the agent, did you supply all of the information requested for each SID? You must specify a username and password for the Oracle server and for the machine where Oracle is running. Since you are using Oracle 8i, you should be specifying internal.

2. When you created your backup job, did you select the entire machine (full green check box) or select the Oracle agent separately (half green check box)? If you selected the entire machine, then the job will not store any of the credentials for the Oracle agent. You must select the Oracle agent when creating the job.

3. Did you specify the credentials (internal and password) when the job was submitted? You must specify the username and password for both the Oracle server and the machine where the server resides (preferrably an administrator).

Thanks for the reply. I am glad to hear everyone is saying ArcServe2000 works with Oracle8i. In ArcServe Manager I selected the whole "my computer (computername)" Which includes Local C, Registry, Oracle Server - Live, System State. The security set has been the domain admin account for everything except the Oracle Server - Live module (which the 'internal' account is used).
I also ran Oracle Backup Agent Configuration for Recovery Manager. I need to a few things clarified:
So as not to give away any company sec details i have used example names:
The physical Win2k box name is Ie: Server1
The Oracle Server running on the box is Ie: Oracle1
Database is Live
Oracle admin account ie: Internal
Win2k domain account is ie: Administrator

Do I enter in from top to bottom in the recovery manager:
ArcServe Server: Server1 ( should this be Oracle1?)
Server User: Internal (should this be Administrator?)
Password: ***
Confirm: ***
Domain: Our domain name
Local NT User: Administrator
Local NT Password: ****
Confirm: ****

Thanks for all your help, I really appreciate it.

1. If you select the entire machine (full green checkbox) then the username and password for the Oracle agent isn't saved. When you select the full machine, you are telling ARCserve to determine what needs to be backed up when the job is run.

I suggest that instead of selecting the entire machine, select all of the subcomponents of the machine. i.e. C:, Registry, Oracle agent and System state. When you create the job this way, you are able to enter agent credentials and they will be used when the job is run. If you add or remove any agents or disks, then modify the job accordingly.

2. The Agent Configuration for Recovery Manager is used to enter information which is used by the RMAN support portion of the Oracle agent. This information is only used when creating a job using the RMAN utility. It isn't used when using the agent with the ARCserve manager (GUI).

ARCserve Server: This is the hostname of the machine where your ARCserve Server (Base) is installed. Since ARCserve is installed on the same machine as the Oracle Server, put in the local hostname; Server1.

ARCserve Server User: This is a user on the machine where the ARCserve server is installed. Specify the local Administrator account.

ARCserve Server Password: Specify the Administrator's password

ARCserve Server Domain: The Administrator's domain which is the local machine's name; Server1.

Local NT User: Specify the local Administrator account.

Local NT Password: Specify the Administrator's password

You don't need to specify any Oracle credentials when running a job through RMAN because the job runs when you execute the command. The Oracle server will transmit or recieve data from ARCserve directly.

Good Luck!

Hi Again,
OK I created a new backup job in ArcServe2000 and didnt select My Computer (full square) but selected each of the modules inside (half square), when it comes to Run/Schedule the job the security is set to Administrator for all except My Computer\Oracle which has internal.
However each morning the job is still showing as incomplete and the section that is failing is is confusing:
Job ID...
Workstation....
Source: Registry (shouldnt this be Oracle)
Target: .... Sequence #1
Session: 6
Start time: ....
the last line is
E8601 Failed to connect agent. (Agent=dbaora7@live, EC=Backup Agent Error -- (85) "Invalid user ID or Password"

I am using the internal account, the password is correct. When I am setting it up I can expand the Oracle tree to see the databases.

Still very confused.

Please help

Thanks

Hi,

had the same problem yesterday but think, here is a solution helped me:

i think, you tried again uninstall arcserve oracle agent, restart and install the agent again and restart.

after that there is the same problem.

but then, i configured all arcserve-services to start not with the system-account else with the arcserve-admin-account.
after restarting all arcserve-services my backup of the oracle-database worked fine!
and i was happy! :)

hope, you will be it too!

cb
(sorry, i my english is'nt easy to read -it's a foreign language for me! :) )

Thanks to everyones help with this one. It is now working!! We are all happy again. We have one error message about the "Agent can not find next archive log to backup" but we are looking into that now.
Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back