Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

E86.. errors with AS2000 / Exchange agent in cluster 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyklops

Technical User
Apr 24, 2002
NL
Environment : 2 W2K servers in Microsoft Cluster, Exchange 2000 clustered. Keep on getting the following errors. Database level :

E8608 Failed to enumerate databases. (EC=Backup Agent Error -- (355) "Exchange Server Error. HrESEBackupPrepare failed. Check Backup Agent Activity Log".)

E8602 Failed to read from database. (DBNAME=SRS Storage, EC=Backup Agent Error -- (356) "Exchange Server Error. HrESEBackupSetup failed. Mount the databases before backup. Check Backup Agent Activity Log".)

Brick level :

E8604 Failed to start backup. (DBNAME=\Individual Mailboxes\Cyklops, EC=EXCH Exchange Agent -- (429) "Fail to Open Information Store".)

Agent configuration is according to all available manuals.
Have tried both Sp3 and Sp4 and the fixes QO06202 and QO13760. None of them fixed the problem. Could it be there's any misconfiguration in Exchange 2000 ??

If anyone has a clue

Have you received a resolution for this subject? I am having the same issue. I disabled an account to an email box which shows this error every night on the Arcserve backup. Even the directory itself has no security tab (to the email box), so I cannot try to give the backup rights.
I also applied QO22840 from CAI, with no success.

I'm sorry but I never found the solution, we just removed the backup agent from the cluster environment. Maybe the backup agent voor ARCserve v9 can help you out as ARCserve v9 has better support for active/active clusters.

regards

I had the same issue. The issue is actually due to the fact that Exchange Agent only supported Exchange 2000 from SP3 onwards. If you installed the Exchange Agent from the original CD (pre SP3) for example, it only works with Exchange 5.5 NOT Exchange 2000. Amazingly, even if you apply SP3/SP4 it still doesn't upgrade the agent to allow it to work with Exchange 2000. Instead, download SP3 and extract the installation files using Winzip (or an equivalent). Uninstall any previous versions of the Exchange Agent, then install the Exchange agent that came with SP3, then apply SP4.

In March 2001 CA released a new Exchange agent that was capable of restoring and backing up Exchange 2000. It is true that you cannot upgrade the former version by just applying sp3 or 4. I installed the agent from the latest ARCserve 2000 software ( that includes sp3 ), then upgraded to sp4 but still had the errors.

regards

Yes that's correct you can't upgrade by applying SP3 or SP4. You have to completely uninstall the Exchange agent, then install using the Exchange agent in SP3, then apply SP4 to that.

I spent days on this issue and were completely disgusted that apply SP3/SP4 didn't upgrade the agent correctly. Also there is nothing on Computer Associates website about this !!

Hi all, I have the same problem, I'm actually busy with someone of CA to solve this problem. At this moment I have uninstall the Backup Agent, install it from the Arcserve SP3 and then apply SP4 and cumulative patch for Brick level. For the error of backup mailbox, I have the same problem with mailbox that I have disabled but the solution is to purge de mailbox in the service manager of Exchange 2000. When I will have more information from CA for the problem of backup agent I will communicate it here.
Ronald

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back