Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

E4500 Purchase

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichardParry

IS-IT--Management
Aug 28, 2002
GB
Hi All, I have been offered a very cheap quad processor (2x CPU boards and 2x I/O) Sun E4500 server, it has 2GB of RAM on each CPU board too and a single 185W PSU as standard. I would be looking to install an external FC array to this as it has the GBIC's on each CPU board, but a couple of quick questions;

a) I would want to use Solaris 10 on this system, which from what I have already read is not a problem and there are no restrictions on the number of CPU's in the system), however I have no experience with using a Sun system with more than one CPU. I assume that this setup will act as any other SMP system and applications compiled for SMP operation will work over all the CPU's available in the system or does it work differently on an E4500 etc?

b) Since each CPU board has 2x FC-GBIC's, which CPU board would I use to connect to the external FC-Array?

c) The system I am offered comes without the "power key", I assume this means I can't turn the system on. I did some searching for these key's on eBay etc but no luck so far - any ideas where these can be purchased?

Note the system isn't for production, just been offered this kit at an incredibly low value and I wouldn't mind a fiddle - so why not :)

Cheers!

a) Solaris will do all the necessary stuff for you, one or 4 Processor, this will all be transperent to you

b) there is nor rule, you could use any port or if your FC Array has 2 loops you can use both gbics and run an alternate pathing software

c) if you have other Sun systems you can use these keys, if you don't have, call Sun, usually they sell these keys (ok, I read about mad prices in this board). If all else fails I can double check my last employer if they have a key left. Where are you from? US? UK?

Best Regards, Franz
--
UNIX System Manager from Munich, Germany

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back