Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

E3898 Invalid session header signature 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveNeubauer

IS-IT--Management
Jul 29, 2002
DE
I am running ARCserve r12 SP1. My current tape library is a Qualstar RLS-4221 with an Ultra 160 controller for LVD drives. I was recently asked to restore some old data that was backed-up with a previous version of ARCserve (not sure which version) on an old autoloader Dell Powervault T120. The Dell is actually an ADIC Fastor loader under the wrapper with a single Quantum DLT 7000 drive. I installed a AHA-2944UW differential SCSI controller to match the autoloader. I updated the drivers and firmware; the Windows Server 2000 Device Manager seems happy with the dual tape drive solution.

When I attempt to read the old tapes, ARCserve can display the Media ID code, but Merges and Scans fail. The ARCserve Activity Log provides the error code E3898 Invalid session header signature (SIG=abbaabba)(MEDIA=date time PM, Session=#). I am starting to get worried because every tape I try produces the same results.

If I can't restore this data, my next project may take place in the Jobs Forum ;-)

Is anyone from CA out there?

I have a little bit of new information that may or may not be helpful. I was able to merge a four tape backup set today, but when I went to restore there was nothing to restore. Very strange. It must have taken 90 minutes to merge the four tapes so I can't help but think there is data on tape.

Information BACKUPSAN001 03/27/2009 11:02:59 AM 245 Merge Operation Successful.
Information BACKUPSAN001 03/27/2009 11:02:59 AM 245 Average Throughput: 12,322.85 MB/min

CA only monitors its own forums.

Don't load the media changer or tape drive drivers.

To see whats on the tape run a Scan job.
First run a Scan to scan all sessions on tape.
The job log will list the sessions and give the server and volume names. From this you can find the session you want to restore.
If you want the whole session don't bother with the merge just pick that session # to restore.
Run another Scan job of that session with the job log set to log all activity and it will list all the files in the session.

If you still have problems set the Tape Engine message level to Detail, done via Server Admin, Configuration. In general when troubleshooting a problem it is better to set Tape Engine to Detail and Job Engine to Debug.

But this might get involved and so it might be necessary to open an issue with CA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back