Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

E3011 Failed to Open File (but file doesnt exist) 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 11, 2001
GB
I keep getting the above error code on my nightly backups (Arcserve 6.6 on Novell 5.1). However the file that it is looking for does not exist. How do I stop the backup from looking for this file?

Edit your job. and deselect the file.
when you close and re-open the tree you'll see that the file is gone.

I hate this option aswell coz it's kinda strange that Arcserve doesn't scan a backupjob for new or missing files :(

The problem is that in Arcserve the file does not show up in the tree either so I have nothing that I can deselect.

Would it be better to modify the backup so that for 1 night I run a completely different backup, then change it the next night to be back to normal? Would this clear Arcserves memory of the file that it thinks exists but that I cannot find anywhere?

how about creating a new job altogether?
thanks Happiness is a daily decision

I think the problem is that you are doing a snapshot backup and those files did exist when the job was created (If the selection box is half green then its a snapshot). Make the box all green by selecting it and modify (accepting) the job. Then go back into the modify screen and deselect the files you want omitted from your backup. This will create another snapshot of your current files. It should fix the problem. Or as chkplsfromindia says just create another job, which will accomplish the same outcome.

If you have files that need deselecting it would be better to do this with the filters option (net icon on job creation/modify screen). This means that the job will continue to backup newly created files and folders. If you deselect a file/folder through the tree then the selection becomes set at that level and thus after time the backup could become significantly incomplete.

It is also better to make selections at at drive level rather than at server level as there will be a problem backing up the registry selection. There is a reg fix for this I believe, but its easier to select the drives individually.

mungoblack,

I had similar problems. And when I started looking for a fix. I found, as powersaj said, that you should select the whole volume and then use filters to avoid files that you don't want.
It's not that the file is there and you can't see it. The file was there when you created the backup job and it took a snapshot of your files/directories at that time.

The problem will continue to get worse as you continue to delete files from the volume. And you'll have more E3011 errors. It gets really scary when you try to restore a file for someone and find that you haven't been backing that file up (never). Because when you do a snapshot, instead of selecting the whole volume, it also doesn't backup any new files or directories. I found that out the hard way.

The secret is filters. And the real secret about filters is they only support the 8.3 file naming convention. But you can use wildcards * and ? .

eg. if you have a file named;

Thisisalongfilename.doc

You could set a filter like;

Thisis*.doc

And it will filter all files that start with 'Thisis'.

I haven't tried it yet, but someone told me that it can work on long directory names by using the DOS name for it.

eg if you have a directory named;

vol1:thislongdirectory\thatlongdirectory\moredirectory

You can do something like;

vol1:thislon~\thatlon~\moredir~

Hope this helps!

tgus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back