Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

E-MAIL SPAM (HELP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ttraider

IS-IT--Management
Jun 17, 2002
US
I am working on a client's LAN. Moat of their PCs have no antivirus protection. (Not a smart decision) There are 12 PCs and I don't have time to run a scan on each PC. Every few days or weeks, one of the PC would be spamming email. Is there a way to figure out which PC is doing that without having to scan each PC? There is no server on this network.

Thanks.

I use Axence NetTools Pro. It's free. Using this you could monitor all the traffic and see which PC is sending out the most.

James P. Cottingham
[sup]I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229![/sup]

Here's some advice as well:

Yes, you can take the time to find which machine is the culprit, but in the mean time, I'd HIGHLY - CAN'T RECOMMEND ENOUGH - TO wipe all the machines, and reinstall from scratch, all the while adding in an antivirus into the mix, at the very least.

If she's running 12 computers with no protection, then finding this problem is just a waste of time if you're not doing something to prevent future problems.

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

I use Axence NetTools Pro. It's free. Using this you could monitor all the traffic and see which PC is sending out the most.

Looks great and free. Does one install on the domain server only?? Thanks.

I put it on my laptop and it seems to run without problems.

James P. Cottingham
[sup]I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229![/sup]

What do you mean that you don't have time to run a scan on all the computers???? If you're getting paid for this, MAKE TIME. If they don't want to pay for your time, there is a simple fix for that:

Install Malware-Bytes AntiMalware and give them instructions for doing the scan. You can walk away after the installation and let them handle the cleanup.

You could do the same with the following bootable disk

I'd say a full scan on each computer is what is required to cure this problem and you should tell them in no uncertain terms that piddling around with half-hearted attempts is a waste of your time and their money.

Get it fixed once and for all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back