Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

e-mail problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoctorEd

IS-IT--Management
May 22, 2002
US
A friend of mine has this problem with his e-mail. He has his own web site and gets e-mail via the server that hosts his web site. He has been having this problem that occurs when he sends e-mail to AOL and Hotmail and some other e-mail services (like yahoo... etc.). When he attaches a word document and sends the e-mail to AOL or Hotmail e-mail addresses the message arrives but the attachment has been converted to a .dat file. When you try to open the attachments all you get is a bunch of jibberish. I get e-mail through Comcast and he was able to send me an e-mail and I was able to open the attachment and the document was intact. He has a home based business and this problem is driving his customers nuts!! Any Ideas???

Doc

Many of your "free" e-mail services such as Yahoo and MSN have very strict threat preventitve measures on their systems. Sending any kind of attachment thru has a small chance of getting thru. The users your sending to, they can have their e-mail account turn off the spam filtering but then your leaving yourself wide-open.

Word Documents, Excell and other, I would either zip or pdf then send the attachment but only the attachment and no other message. Send a follow up E-mail that contains your message. YOur subject lines could point as page 1 and page 2 or something like that.

Hope this helps

Hey gang, thanks for the tips...it turned out that my neighbor had his Outlook set for Rich text. I set his e-mail format to plain text and all is good...Thanks...Doc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back