Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

E-Mail Notifications

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrdPrefct

Technical User
Oct 18, 2001
US
Hello,
I use Networker to backup a bunch of servers from a single server. Every day, I read the email notifications it sends me. What I want to do, is have the saveset or pool or group name in the subject line of the email notification. Is there a way to do this?

Thanks.

I don't know what is the OS of the backup server, but if it is an unix machine,
then it would be easier to create a shell script which would call mailx (or something like that).

Here is an example (restriction for the script: group name cannot have space in its name, otherwise it would show only first word of the group name).

------------notiftest.sh---------------

#!/bin/sh

cat > /nsr/tmp/savegroupnotification.$$
GROUP=`grep "(notice)" /nsr/tmp/savegroupnotification.$$ | awk '{ print $4 }' | head -1`

mailx -s &quot;group: $GROUP&quot; user@address < /nsr/tmp/savegroupnotification.$$

echo &quot;rm /nsr/tmp/savegroupnotification.$$&quot; | at now + 4 hours

exit 0

------------notiftest.sh---------------

create additional notification with a command: „<complete path>/notiftest.sh“

Now, it is possible the script will not work correctly (I didn’t test it). This is just an idea how to do it.

For NT machine the idea would be the same (scripting is little bit different :))

Hey thanks for the script. I can vouch for it. I'm using it now.

joe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back