Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

E-mail not reaching internal recipient 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dforney

IS-IT--Management
Feb 3, 2004
US
Good Morning.

We have had some unusual occurances with Exchange 2K in the SBS package and the POP3 connector. What happens is that the connector retrieves all of the e-mail for our accounts and will, without warning, not deliver the incoming mail to the recipient. As a matter of fact - the e-mail will disappear altogether.

There are no errors or warnings in the event logs - logging is set to maximum.

Reviewing the events shows the pop3 connector receiving the e-mail and subsequently routing it to the correct location - but the e-mail is not there when we look in the directory directly or look at the users inbox.

Any thoughts?

EdgarV - There has been no resolve yet, I still looking for clues.

What is the service pack level for sbs2k - you may need to get the entire service pack for sbs rather than just components?
for more reference.

Now, just for thought. You are obviously wanting to have all your email come into Exchange (central repository for backup) and be accessed by clients using Outlook. What you could do is do away with the POP3 connector - Add another account to each users with their POP3 details. This is in addition to the Exchange account created already. Now when you view the email accounts details, you will see the option "deliver new email to the following location". Make sure that your Exchange Mailbox is listed there.

What the above does is allows your users to download their pop3 email and have it delivered to their Exchange mailbox. Unlike the POP3 connector with SBS2K, you are note restricted to have to wait 15 minutes to check for new emails. If you set them up for offline access, they will also have an OST file which allows them to see email even if the Exchange server is down.

Lastly, if you are still wanting to go down the POP3 connector way, get a commercial product, the main ones listed here -They are more reliable and robust than the inbuilt pop3 connector that comes with SBS2K. These products are not limited to checking emails every 15 minutes like SBS2k is.

Claudius (What certifications??)

Thanks Claudek. I may go to another connector I tried a while back, I believe it was called 'Native POP3'. It is not limitd to the 15 minute cycle.

The clients will continue to draw thier mail from the Exchange Server rather than direct. I like running it direct and delivering the result from the client into Exchange, however in our case that would circumvent a valuable layer of security.

At any rate - I keep getting drawn back to the connector as the weak link in this chain - unfortunately the issue is, random, intermittant and unpredictable.. plus the user comes to me a week after the fact "Ya know, I don't think I've been getting any external e-mail for a week or two."

Thanks

Have you checked any antivirus or firewall logs? Maybe the emails your expecting were stowed away due to content within the email. Just a thought

Hi Mike - Yes, checked that, I've traced the e-mail every single step that I can find and trace through.. right up to folder delivery and then after that, the subsequent folder scans by SAE. It IS strange, it had moved on to another user for the last two days..

Thanks Claudius - sometimes my own density surprises me.. thanks for the service pack link. I wonder why my own searches in tech-net turned up nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back