Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

e-mail name change

Status
Not open for further replies.

CEChriss

Technical User
Mar 8, 2004
US
Someone in our office has recently been married and their last name changed. It was joe blow (email address = jblow@abc.com). it is now joe blew (email address = jblew@abc.com)

I am wondering is there any way to change their email address without creating a new mail box and transfering all the messages.

Thanks

Open the user in AD and click the Email Addresses tab. Click New, then SMTP and add the second email address. You can keep using both addresses until you can finally phase out the old one.

Thanks for your advice.

I opened up the user in AD (users and computers)I do not see any tab label email address.

I am using exchange 2003 on windows 2000

On the Exchange Server goto Start > Programs > Microsoft Exchange > Active Directory Users and Computers

This version of the ADU&C (dsa.msc) has the Exchange Tabs needed for this operation.

If you handle a lot of user Exchange administration, you might find it useful to install the Exchange Tools on your local PC too so you can do everything from snap-ins on your desktop. The tools are located on the Exchange CD.

Hi,

I have a similar situation in my office. If you add a second email address in AD, when the user sends mail, what will appear as the "from" address? The original email or the second address?

Thanks!

Mia

Mia03, the From address will default to whatever their primary SMTP address is set to. Under the E-mail Addresses tab in Active Directory Users and Computers, you can see what the default address is.

It also works if you right click the user in ADU&C and go to "rename"

if you rename the account, a box will pop up with name and email changes.

Thanks for all your tips. I guess I just want to be absolutely sure if I rename the account or change the primary email address that nothing bad will happen: eg, mail stops being sent or received, or the old email address stops working completely!

Any pitfalls I should watch out for? And what's the best way to do it? Add a second address or rename the user completely?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back