Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

E-mail Backup Results

Status
Not open for further replies.

carlosmcse

IS-IT--Management
Nov 17, 2005
US
Hi all i'm a complete newbie to AIX (unix) i'm running a P5 server with AIX 5.2 for a medical software (Misys). We have a schedule to run everyday to backup our DB's (informix DB's) what i want to be able to do is after the backup the server to e-mail the backup results (maybe a failed, sucessful or even the bakup log) to a specific e-mail address. Is this possible?

Thanks,
Carlos

There are two parts to this

1. Setting up email so that it knows how to deliver mail. You may well get away with editing /etc/mail/sendmail.cf and look for the line which starts with DS. The section from my file looks like
Code:
# "Smart" relay host (may be null)
# Relay host to forward outgoing mail not in the local domain to.
# To forward ALL mail to this relay host, uncomment the appropriate
# rule in ruleset 0, as indicated by the ruleset's comments.
#DSmailer:relayhostname
DSMyMailRelayHost

2. Amending the script which runs the backup so that it mails you the log. The simple command for this is
Code:
mail -s "Mail Subject Line " you@YourServer < /path/to/backup/log/file
Asuming that works then you can develop the Mk II which has more bells and whistles

Ceci n'est pas une signature
Columb Healy

Thanks for the great info, do you guys know of any good training for AIX or unix in general, it seems the company is moving away from MS and running mission critical apps on unix (mainly AIX) i'm completely new to unix.

thanks for any help....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back