Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dyndns.org and AD

Status
Not open for further replies.

mozingod

MIS
Jul 9, 2002
US
I currently have DNS/AD loaded one machine, and it's the only server on the network. Problem is my IP changes every few weeks (dynamic), so I'm going to move to dyndns.org. How would this work with AD? Anyone have any tips on making this move as smooth as possible? Thanks! Darrell Mozingo

I have this same setup at home. I suggest putting a firewall/NAT router between the AD server and the internet. This way your internal address scheme never changes while your external DNS record is updated with the external address of the router. I take it you only have one exteranl IP from your ISP so use something like the SMC Barricade line of soho routers that let you create virtual servers to pass external traffic from the internet back to different ip's on the internal LAN. This way I have VPN, Web, and FTP hosted on three different boxes but using only one dynamic IP from my ISP.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back