Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dynamicaly change selection box from other selection box 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

endomorph1

Technical User
Oct 24, 2006
GB
Please help because this is driving me crazy.

I have a script at the moment which is disabling some selection boxes on changing other selection boxes -

function disableresort(disableIt)
{
document.searchbox.Resort.disabled = disableIt;
}

function disablecountry(disableIt)
{
document.searchbox.Country.disabled = disableIt;
}

function disableweeks(disableIt)
{
document.searchbox.Weeks.disabled = disableIt;
}

function disablemonth(disableIt)
{
document.searchbox.Month.disabled = disableIt;
}

function enableField()
{
document.searchbox.Resort.disabled=false;
document.searchbox.Country.disabled=false;
document.searchbox.Weeks.disabled=false;
document.searchbox.Month.disabled=false;
}

I need to expand this now.

When I run function disableresort (Which is called by selecting an option in "Country", I need to change other selection boxes.

In selection box called "Country", if the option (with value POINT, option number 3) is selected, I need to empty the selection box called "Weeks" and create one single option called POINTS which has a value of POINTS.

I also need to disable a selection box called MONTHS and a selection box called SIZE.

In selection box called "Country", if the option (with value VACL, option number 2) is selected, I need to empty the selection box called "Weeks" and create one single option called FLOATING which has a value of FLOATING.

I also need to disable a selection box called MONTHS.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Hi

Do not expect to rebuild your HTML document. As you did not gave use complete code to work on, my code may not match your needs.
Code:
<script type="text/javascript">
function ch()
{
  ds=document.searchbox;
  ds.months.disabled=ds.country.selectedIndex==1 || ds.country.selectedIndex==2;
  ds.size.disabled=ds.country.selectedIndex==2;
  if (ds.months.disabled) while (ds.weeks.options.length) ds.weeks.options[ds.weeks.options.length-1]=null;
  if (ds.country.selectedIndex==1) ds.weeks.options[0]=new Option('FLOATING','FLOATING');
  if (ds.country.selectedIndex==2) ds.weeks.options[0]=new Option('POINTS','POINTS');
}
</script>

[gray]<!-- ... -->[/gray]

<form name="searchbox">

<select name="country" onchange="ch()">
<option value="1">one</option>
<option value="VACL">VACL</option>
<option value="POINT">POINT</option>
</select>

<select name="weeks">
<option value="one">one</option>
<option value="two">two</option>
<option value="three">three</option>
</select>

<select name="months">
<option value=""></option>
</select>

<select name="size">
<option value=""></option>
</select>

</form>

Feherke.

Thanks feherke, your a god ! With a little tweeking, it works spot on. Tjis was the end code.

{

ds=document.searchbox;
ds.Month.disabled=ds.Country.selectedIndex==1 || ds.Country.selectedIndex==2;
ds.Size.disabled=ds.Country.selectedIndex==1;
if (ds.Month.disabled) while (ds.Weeks.options.length) ds.Weeks.options[ds.Weeks.options.length-1]=null;
if (ds.Country.selectedIndex==2) ds.Weeks.options[0]=new Option('Floating','FLOATING');
if (ds.Country.selectedIndex==1) ds.Weeks.options[0]=new Option('Points','Points');
}

Now if I could trouble you for one more ;-)

I need to do basically the same with the points (not the floating) but if I choose one of a choice of resorts.

So -

if resort = resortname 1 then disable country & month and empty weeks of all options and create one option with a value of points.

if resort = resortname 2 then disable country & month and empty weeks of all options and create one option with a value of points.

if resort = resortname 3 then disable country & month and empty weeks of all options and create one option with a value of points.

The list of resort names is around 50. Unfortunatly it cannot be done by index value as the option list is created dynamically from a database.

BTW, if you want to see where this is working, go to It is the search box at the bottom.
(Admin - Sorry if I should not post URL's - please remove)

Ooops ! Few errors there. Where is the edit post button ?

Should read -

Thanks feherke, your a god ! With a little tweaking, it works spot on. This was the end code -

{

ds=document.searchbox;
ds.Month.disabled=ds.Country.selectedIndex==1 || ds.Country.selectedIndex==2;
ds.Size.disabled=ds.Country.selectedIndex==1;
if (ds.Month.disabled) while (ds.Weeks.options.length) ds.Weeks.options[ds.Weeks.options.length-1]=null;
if (ds.Country.selectedIndex==2) ds.Weeks.options[0]=new Option('Floating','FLOATING');
if (ds.Country.selectedIndex==1) ds.Weeks.options[0]=new Option('Points','Points');
}

Now if I could trouble you for one more

I need to do basically the same with the points (not the floating) but if I choose one of a choice of resorts.

So -

if resort = resortname 1 then disable country, size & month and empty weeks of all options and create one option with a value of points.

if resort = resortname 2 then disable country, size & month and empty weeks of all options and create one option with a value of points.

if resort = resortname 3 then disable country, size & month and empty weeks of all options and create one option with a value of points.

The list of resort names is around 50. Unfortunatly it cannot be done by index value as the option list is created dynamically from a database.

BTW, if you want to see where this is working, go to It is the search box at the bottom.
(Admin - Sorry if I should not post URL's - please remove)

If it helps, when I create the option list, I can give the resorts a id=

Hi

Then keep those ~50 names in an [tt]Array[/tt] :
Code:
resl=new Array(
  'resortname 1',
  'resortname 2',
  [gray]// ...[/gray]
  'resortname 50'
);

function chr()
{
  ds=document.searchbox;
  resv=ds.Resort.options[ds.Resort.selectedIndex].text;
  resf=false;
  for (i=0;i<resl.length;i++) if (resl[i]==resv) resf=true;
  ds.Country.disabled=resf;
  ds.Month.disabled=resf;
  if (resf) {
    while (ds.Weeks.options.length) ds.Weeks.options[ds.Weeks.options.length-1]=null;
    ds.Weeks.options[0]=new Option('Points','POINTS');
  }
}

Feherke.

Hi

endomorph1 said:
If it helps, when I create the option list, I can give the resorts a id=""
Do you mean :
Code:
<select name="Resort">
<option>nope<option>                 [gray]<!-- do nothing -->[/gray]
<option id="1">resortname 1<option>  [gray]<!-- disable, empty, fill -->[/gray]
<option>neither</option>             [gray]<!-- do nothing -->[/gray]
<option id="2">resortname 2<option>  [gray]<!-- disable, empty, fill -->[/gray]
</select>
That is possible, but personally I would prefer with [tt]class[/tt], because the [tt]id[/tt]s should be unique :
Code:
<select name="Resort">
<option>nope<option>                     [gray]<!-- do nothing -->[/gray]
<option class="do">resortname 1<option>  [gray]<!-- disable, empty, fill -->[/gray]
<option>neither</option>                 [gray]<!-- do nothing -->[/gray]
<option class="do">resortname 2<option>  [gray]<!-- disable, empty, fill -->[/gray]
</select>
That would simplify the JavaScript code to no array :
Code:
function chr()
{
  ds=document.searchbox;
  resf=ds.Resort.options[ds.Resort.selectedIndex].className=='do';
  ds.Country.disabled=resf;
  ds.Month.disabled=resf;
  if (resf) {
    while (ds.Weeks.options.length) ds.Weeks.options[ds.Weeks.options.length-1]=null;
    ds.Weeks.options[0]=new Option('Points','POINTS');
  }
}

Feherke.

Once again, you da man !

Glad you came up with the second option which I did. Works brilliant. Thanks so much for that.

Feherke,

Remember this/me ? Either something has gone wrong or I missed something out when we did this.

The final code I had was -

function disablecountry(disableIt)
{

{
ds1=document.searchbox;
resf=ds1.Resort.options[ds1.Resort.selectedIndex].className=='POIN';
ds1.Country.disabled=resf;
ds1.Month.disabled=resf;
ds1.Size.disabled=resf;
if (resf) {
while (ds1.Weeks.options.length) ds1.Weeks.options[ds1.Weeks.options.length-1]=null;
ds1.Weeks.options[0]=new Option('Points','Points');
}
}
}

But it is not doing the -

If I change the resort to a non class ID selection.

The whole script file can be got from -

if you need it.

Thanks again

Hi

And the related HTML document is the site's main page, right ?

Well, you call it as [highlight #eee][tt]disablecountry(this.selectedIndex)[/tt][/highlight] , so it will receive a numeric parameter from the [tt]selectedIndex[/tt] property. But you attach it to a [tt]disabled[/tt] property, which is boolean.

Not sure if that is the problem, but looks strange. For now.

Feherke.

If you look at all the other functions in the file, they are very much the same and they work fine, it is just this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back