Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dynamically Populating Form Menus

Status
Not open for further replies.

theprofessorx

Programmer
Mar 21, 2002
US
Does anyone know how to use a database to dynamically populate a series of menus in a form that resides in a single JSP (no frames please)?

For example, I have 3 drop-down menus in the same form named A, B and C. Based on what the user selects in menu A, I want to query the database and present a set of options related to A in menu B. Based on what the user selects in menu B, I want to query the database and present a set of options related to B in menu C. Finally, when A, B and C are all selected, the user would submit the form for processing. How can this be achieved without subjecting the server/network to excessive overhead?

Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated!

I did something similar in a standard Java application whereby the user could manipulate a database of "users" and the results were reflected a sub-menu.

For example:

One of the menus was a Delete User menu and attached to this menu was a sub menu of all the users. By selecting a user from this sub menu, the person is prompted to remove this user from the database (click yes) and then the next time you go to Delete Users and open the sub menu, the user just deleted is no longer there.

Is that the sort of thing you want? Let me know and I will post the code.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back