Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

dynamically populate textbox with array list 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MsPepperMintUSA

Programmer
Mar 15, 2001
US
Please forgive me for writing so much....

Due to the proprietary nature of the content in the project, I am not able to post a link to .swf file. I can only give examples. I will try to explain as much as possible.

Background Info:
I'm trying to modify a Director project that was created by another developer. I'm new to the Director MX 2004 and Flash MX 2004 environment (download the Director MX 2004 on 7/25/2004).

I am not new to web developing with Macromedia Products. I have coded using HomeSite, Dreamweaver, and create web apps using ColdFusion.

Received some great help from the Flash Forum, so I am hoping the Director forum will point me the right direction.

What the Director Project currently does:
There are a series of sprites with an assigned criterion number. When an end user selects the sprite, the search functionality populates the related PDF file names in a separate sprite textbox. (I.e. The end user selects a sprite with a label "Fruit", the search functionality generates the following list: grapes, oranges, apples, blueberries, pineapples. - All are links to a pdf that has information on each item.)

What the Director Project needs to do:
In addition to the working functionality listed above,
there is a "refined search" functionality. It works exactly the same as the "search" function. For example: Let's assume the end user select "refined search". While in "refined search" the user selects "fruit that grows on trees". The "refined search" functionality generates the following list: oranges, apples, grapefruit. - All are links to a pdf that has information on each item.)

Let's assume the end user would like to go back to the "search" functionality keeping the criterion selected in the "refined search". The end user selects the new link "return to search" (i.e. The "search" functionality generates the following list: oranges, apples. - All are links to a pdf that has information on each item)

What I Need Help With:
My questions:

1. Is it possible to send the array results from "refined search" back to the "search"?
2. How can the items from "refined search" and "search" have an association, since each sprite is assigned a unique criterion number?
3. How is the criterion number associated to each PDF? Is this done manually?
4. Is there a third party tool that will search the words in the PDF to create the association?

What I Have Attempted So Far:
1. I purchased Macromedia Director MX and Lingo book published by Macromedia Press and written by Phil Gross. I am currently going through some of the examples.

2. I have identified each criterion number for each sprite as well as the function that dynamically builds the array of criteria.

Any suggestions, additional recommendations for books or recommendations for websites would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

MsPepperMintUSA

You can achieve this by using INM's Impressario (and V12 database). Impressario is a PDF Xtra for Director, which enables you to search PDF documents (amongst other tasks). I am not 100% sure if you need V12 database as well, but INM offers full text indexing tool. Go to INM's website and explore:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back